macbook pro and ATI video

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sseligson, Dec 14, 2006.

1. sseligson

sseligson Member

I have a macbook pro and I am running the beta of parallels. Whenever I boot up I get this message.

The ATI Control panel failed to initalize because no ATI drive is installed or the ATI driver is not working properly. The Control panel will now exit.

What do I do?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Get rid of the ATI driver. In Parallels, you MUST use the Parallels video driver and not one for the card since the card isn't accessible. The only available video is the emulated card.

3. sseligson

sseligson Member

What happens if I want to play games in boot camp?

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Two Windows installations.

5. sseligson

sseligson Member

I totoally do not want 2 installations. But.... The video card works fine in parallels without the ATI driver so I am assuming if I boot in bootcam the ATI driver will work right?

6. sfuller

sfuller Member

When you boot into bootcamp, you should select the other Windows XP boot menu option, and the first option for the hardware profile. That will load up the right kernel for bootcamp, and the right hardware profile so that XP will start with the ATI drivers installed.

7. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

It is the ATI system tray resolution changing program that is informing you it could not find the driver (because you ARE using the correct profile - the parallels one with the parallels driver). The error gives you an option to not be notified again - that is all you need to do. The error is letting you know the system tray icon will NOT be installed, so you are all set.