Printing Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by coin4, Dec 15, 2006.

1. coin4

coin4 Bit poster

Ive installed XP Pro on my Parallels desktop and love it. It seems so far to be seamless and I'm thrilled with the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I have some web based work that is not Mac supported so I still need both worlds. Here's my problem... I have a very expensive Laser Printer all in one (Samsung) that also is not Mac supported. No drivers acording to Samsung. I was told by Parallels Support to install the printer drivers on the xp system and I should be able to print from the windows side. Cumbersome but acceptable. It's not working. Any help? Id really hate to have to scrap this year old all in one.

2. gosh

gosh Member

Just checking do you have latest Parallels build and Bonjour for Windows?

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Have you tried just plugging it in to your Mac? Most printer drivers are built in to OSX and you don't have to install anything special.

If you have tried this, and it did not work, I would recommend that you download the Gimp Print printer drivers and see if you can find one that will work. Chances are, if you can find a driver on Gimp Print for an older model by the same manufacturer, it will work on yours as well. You will have to experiment.

Here is a link. http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/

---------------

The above was for getting it to work in OSX. If you just want it to work in XP, read this thread...
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread2549.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  4. coin4

coin4 Bit poster

Thx for the advice.... but it still wont work. I like the suggestion about gimp-print as then I could have full use (OSX and XP) but cant find the driver that works. While I continue to search gimp I would like to use the Bonjour option but Bonjour keeps telling me I have know printers plugged in. It doesnt recognize my Samsung 4720f is plugged in via USB. Is it possible my problem is Im trying to accomplish this with the Parallels trail version? I'm not sure yet I want to buy Parallels if I cant work out my printing solution. Getting a little frustrated........

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

The Bonjour solution will not work if the printer will not work on native OSX. The Bonjour solution is equivalent to having your XP machine and your OSX machine connected through a local area network, with the printer attached to the OSX machine. Bonjour lets you print to the OSX printer through the network. But this can not happen if the printer will not print from OSX.

6. coin4

coin4 Bit poster

sounds like I need a driver???

It appears the only choice I have is to find a driver through gimp (any other web sites you would suggest) or buy a new printer/scan machine. Any other driver suggestions or other possible solutions? My printer is a business level all in one Laser fax, scanner, copier, printer modified for my use. It was almost $1000 and Its less than a year old. Sure would be painful to have to scrap and start over.

7. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Some people have been successful getting printers to work under XP as a USB printer. It requires some knowledge of Unix that I do not have. I think that info may be in that same sticky thread (USB Printing - Generic Solution). If not do a search.

If you can get it working under XP, you could go the other way...i.e. print from OSX thru Bonjour to the XP attached printer.

8. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven