diabling mouse pointer while in XP

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rcarver, Dec 15, 2006.

1. rcarver

rcarver Junior Member

I am running AuoCAD on XP using Parallels and I would like to disable the mouse pointer that is constantly hovering over the Windows mouse. It is a problem in AutoCAD because it makes drafting difficult if you can not see the cross hairs.

Is there a way to make the pointer for OS X only active when outside of the XP window and not constantly hovering over the pointer while operating in Windows?

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

It really should be not working inside a Parallels window - it doesn't under windoze or Linux. This question is not too 'general' since your host is Mac. Try posting there and see if anyone else experiences this.

3. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Ooops, I guess you already posted in multiple locations with the same problem. Just because you feel you need an instant answer, does not mean you should subject everyone to inappropriate posts. Please be kind enough to only post questions to the forum that deals with your host OS, when your problem/question deals specifically with one platform. This forum is for cross-platform ideas/questions/problems.

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

"Tools" causes the problem

Hey Carver,

I've noticed that myself. That's why I keep Bootcamp on. Besides just being speedier for AutoCAD, Bootcamp natively does not have this glitch. And if you disable your mouse syncronization for the XP virtual machine (in Parallels Tools), which will get rid of the problem, then you're stuck with the pathetic mouse driver that OS X has, which can't even compare to the smooth motion of Windows' driver. It drives me nuts -- but that is a different thread...

So until Parallels can come out with some type of solution for this synchronization problem for AutoCAD users, you have to do what I'm doing when it comes to using ACAD -- Use Bootcamp. Truly, if it wasn't for this one problem, I'd be using my virtual machine in Parallels full time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  5. rcarver

rcarver Junior Member

are you serious? you are that concerned that I asked the same question to two different forums. If it is that much of a hassle for you then do not read it, nor take all that time and effort to respond.

and thank you for the answer Atomic_Fusion, but the "enable mouse sync" option is already checked and grayed out. it will not let me disable it? any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

rcarver wrote: "thank you for the answer Atomic_Fusion, but the "enable mouse sync" option is already checked and grayed out. it will not let me disable it? any ideas?"
    ===

Right. You have to uninstall Tools, and then re-install it. And when you re-install it, chose Custom install and then you can uncheck the mouse driver. Sorry for not making that more clear.

One thing I have found is I'm using Unsanity's Might Mouse, and USB Overdrive to change the way the mouse moves in OS X. It seems to help quite a bit, although I still think native Windows does a better job with moving the pointer around the screen. But you might want to check them out for yourself.

And believe me, those guys are seriously concerned about where you post, but who cares? Not me, not you. They just like to throw rocks and see how bad you'll swerve.

7. rcarver

rcarver Junior Member

thanks again. is this Mighty Mouse a shareware program? I will do some poking around the net for it and give it a try.

do you have your machine setup so that Parallels can access your Bootcamp Partition via build 3036? this is what I ultimately want to do but it sounds so complicated.

8. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

rcarver wrote: "do you have your machine setup so that Parallels can access your Bootcamp Partition via build 3036? this is what I ultimately want to do but it sounds so complicated."
    ===

I have my VM set up using my Bootcamp partition via Beta 3094. Forget 3036. Uninstall all your Tools in the VMs your using. Uninstall Tools for Bootcamp in native Bootcamp. And update to 3094. It is awesome.

And actually since I've installed these BETAS I am not seeing the pointer over pointer problem any longer.

Mighty Mouse is $10 at unsanity.com. USB Overdrive is $20 shareware. The combination of these two gives me #1 a WHITE pointer instead of a BLACK one (ughhh!), and lets me set where the selection point of the pointer will be (OS X has the point of selection inside the actual outline of the pointer and it drives me crazy, so I've set the point one pixel out from the pointer (like Windows). USB Overdrive changes the algorithm used by the pointer to get rid of that annoying crawl that the pointer makes in OS X when you slow down your speed with the mouse. (I simply couldn't use OS X in any drafting/imaging production environment with these "bete noires," so Mighty Mouse and USB Overdrive are truly God-Sends!)

9. irelandshope

irelandshope Junior Member

Fix for Autocad Double Cursor

In windows go to the display properties, select the settings tab and press the advanced button... once on the new window select the troubleshoot tab, then look for the hardware acceleration control and select one less than full. This fixes the cursor issue... I been doing great since I discovered thar... good luck.

10. jmavra

jmavra Bit poster

I also had the cursor problem with earlier builds, but now that I updated to build 3186 it works almost perfect.
    The only problem is when in Coherence mode, the cursor problem returns. Does anyone know why this is? or how to fix it?