Shut down of Mepis

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ronaldbegg, Dec 10, 2006.

1. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Hi, I was running Simply Mepis under the previous version of Parallels and when I went to shut down, after closing down Mepis from the command 'turn off', I was able to shut off the so called full screen mode (which it was not, on my 20" iMac) by using Control/Option.

Now with the new Beta version, this sequence does not permit me to shut down Mepis. Is this normal, or is it associated with Mepis, ie Maybe Red Hat, etc, does not behave this way.

Have conducted a number of searches, but no joy.

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Shutdowns under Linux are sometimes a crap shoot - even in native mode. Try to look at the shutdown logs and see if you can see anything. Sometimes, after a while, it just works. Don't think it has anything to do with Parallels. Usually, if you can get them to really shutdown, Parallels will behave properly.

3. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Thank you for that, being a new user of Linux, it's all a bit of a mystery, will keep trying as you suggest

4. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Hi all, after a series of Linux problems, I have given up on Mepis. I found the whole journey an interesting one, but began to ask why was I putting myself through so much grief.

My main and abiding interest is OS X but I do enjoy playing with and using my XP and Vista installations, no grief there.

5. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Can't blame you a bit. I had owned VMware before Parallels (both running under Linux which I know well), and have a lot invested in windoze VMs. I thought Parallels would be a good way to keep up with Linux distros on a slightly slower machine of mine. But sadly, all of the initial promises from Parallels have never come true for Linux guests.

Linux is not a good path for a Mac user to explore in spite of the fact that the underlying OSs are extreamly similar. There is not a defined structure to explore nor obviously available support system. At least with windoze, you can fall back on millions of other people on the web who have problems with it.

6. ronaldbegg

ronaldbegg Member

Terry is it, don't know why I said that, but yes, I think you have hit the 'nail on the head' as it were. In a recent past life I was very familiar with Windows 98 and XP.

My XP and Vista beta installations work well, but you do really need that prior backgound, Windows is still Windows, no denying that. (in relation to problem issues that is)

You just can't beat good old OS X!