Wireless networking? - Trouble accessing net through wireless network

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dreamspy, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dreamspy

dreamspy Bit poster

Hi there

I'm running Parallels 3036 beta, and I'm having trouble accessing the internet on my guest os (windows xp).

My mac is connected to a locked wireless network, and working fine. But I cant configure my XP to work on a wirelss. I suspect that I should configure the wireless settings also in the XP but I havent found any settings for that. Any hints?

reg
    Frímann

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

This is a how to forum, for solutions. Further to that, this issue has been discussed plenty. Do a search, and if you still have a question, even after reading the answer, then please post in the appropriate forum.

3. dreamspy

dreamspy Bit poster

I thought this forum was for asking "how to" do something :)

and I'we already made a search and read some posts with no luck.

What would be the correct forum for this?

4. jmizoguchi

jmizoguchi Member

you should set your network settting in parallels control panel to default.. I use both wireless and wired and... if you set to default.. parallels will tranparently make it work when xp is booted.. should not see any issues. you don't need to setup in xp in general setup.

5. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

how-to forum

What's the point of a how-to forum without someone "needing" to know how-to do something? Why would anybody take the time to spill out instructions on "how-to" do something that nobody has expressed a need for? It makes no sense. Your "how-to" forum needs to be a "tips and tricks" forum, in an "advanced" section, not a "general discussions" section.

I kinda feel like some of the "senior" members on this forum are wasting precious time and (probably not-so-precious bandwidth) by not just answering "general questions" people have about "how-to" do something in P.D, and telling people to go take a hike to another forum ("technical questions?") that should be where the advanced members should be loitering around in with their tips and tricks.

I take time to read people's posts, looking for help, only to come across some "senior" member telling the poor guy he's basically out of luck until he goes to a place that senior members think he should go, when time and time again the poor guy replies "well I thought this was the appropriate place."

Obviously. He can read. The title says General Discussions, How-to. It doesn't say Tips and Tricks or "This is not a place for people asking for help."

I propose, therefore, that the Senior members go somewhere else (how about "tips and tricks," anyone???) and let this be a forum where people can get answers to their "how-to" questions. Perhaps then the senior members will not waste their time, and our time, getting an email saying someone has replied to our questions, thinking we are going to find a solution, only to come and read some senior member, who could have given the answer in probably less words than it takes to say "go somewhere else," send him away.

Good grief. Have a heart. I'm getting so tired of this Mac elitist crowd...

6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

dreamspy wrote: "What would be the correct forum for this?"

Oh no, dreamspy, you've asked another question, and the senior members are going to have to tell you that this is a forum to only give everybody solutions that they never asked for. Heaven forbid!

Well??? I mean, since we're just having a lot of fun wasting time and space on the forum telling everybody else to take a hike, this post ought to fit right in. Or, is it inappropriate for me since I haven't made 200 posts telling people that this forum isn't the appropriate one for their questions???

Whatever. I'm done. That felt really good, actually...

7. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

No it doesn't say that - it says this:

"Discuss and share useful tips and ideas that help you use Parallels software."

Seems to be really clear English, and is located just below the 'How To" words in plain view. No it doesn't say 'Tips and Tricks', which for most people would mean "This is not a place for help". Anyone who attempts to even do a quick scan of the sentence below the topic title should at least see that maybe there is a question about what they are about to do. Clearly, the superior person who uses a Mac should be capable of such a perception. I think that your rants are just a little inappropriate.

8. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

tgrogan wrote: "No it doesn't say that - it says this: "Discuss and share useful tips and ideas that help you use Parallels software."

OK, let's do some analysing:

There are some inferrances, here, that obviously you expect everybody to translate according to your own traditions, when in fact it appears that your own traditions are quite a bit short-sighted.

"Discuss and share" cannot happen unless two or more people are paricipating. Two or more people cannot participate unless somebody "spills the beans" first. So how's that gonna happen?

Let's see, a guy could assume what he has to say is relevant to everybody else, to their particular platform, and exactly the same problem that another person (which he has no idea who that could be until they chime in his thread) has. Or, imagine this, a person in need could ask a question to which somebody else could "share" their useful "tips and ideas that help [them] use Parallels software."

tgrogan (and really how many other forum participants?) apparently want to control that content to be restricted to his/her own interpretation of what it means to "discuss and share useful tips and ideas that help you use Parallels software." Apparently, "...ideas that HELP you use Parallels software" (according to his/her interpretation of what is, what has been, and what is to come) does not include answering questions, just blogging your experiences. And, of course, anybody that will traverse this interpretation are "inconsiderate" and fail to read plain English.

???

When a guy has something in his head, it's pretty much gonna stay there even if it means misery in the end. And isn't that what tgrogan comes across as? A miserable guy that is tired of people posting in a location that on the surface (plain English) looks right, but according to his own whims, isn't?

How is tgrogan going to discuss and share useful tips and ideas that help him use Parallels software if nobody asks him questions? How are any of us? Let's say, for instance, tgrogan finds something in his use of Parallels that really saves him time and effort, and he posts that on the forum here. I suppose that this is the kind of content he expects to see.

But what is the expected result of such a post? Should we all expect that nobody will want to find out more, specific to their platfom perhaps, about how-to do what he introduces? According to his traditions, the thread would then have to be moved to the appropriate section of the forum, because it has changed it's nature from a how-to thread to a Q&A on highly technical issues.

So what, tgrogan, is an appopriate thread in this section of the forum? I'm not the only one that has ever asked you this question. And I haven't ever seen you answer it directly -- only by stating what ISN'T appropriate (yes, you're real good at telling us what isn't appropriate). I'd like you to make some suggestions on what is appropriate, and then I'll judge your suggestions according to your own statements that you have taken upon yourself to express to us in your mad-at-the-world manner.

Now typically someone would say I'm picking a fight here, but according to my own narrow-minded perogative, I'm only trying to establish some definition to your tradition, so that we all can be more "considerate" to you when we come searching for someone to share their "help" using Parallels software. Plain english, dude. Plain english.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006