Can't start vm (fedora core4) with 570mb

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sfwalter, Aug 21, 2006.

1. sfwalter

sfwalter Junior Member

I have a MacBook Pro with 1.5GB of memory. When I try to start a Fedora Core 5 VM with 570 MB I get this :[​IMG]

Any ideas? 512MB works fine but I'm trying to get 768MB to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Scott.

2. sfwalter

sfwalter Junior Member

I answered my own question. I needed to add the following kernel parameter:

mem=nopentium

Does anybody know why???

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

FC5 fails because somewhere inside linux kernel there are default that i815 can't use more than 512 Mb of memory. Seems mem=nopentium disables i815 features.

4. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Frankly me experience is that all the Linux distros I've tried its seems to be hit or miss whether or not it will boot with the RAM set above 500M. I've been fooling around and soemtimes it will boot and sometimes it won't. I haven't seen the nopentium trick though that's a new one.

I've been able to get my Fedora 5 and Ubuntu to boot with 1000M sometimes but very intermittantly. Not sure whats going on but its definitlely something Parallels needs to work on.

Cheers,
    Peter

5. dkoes

dkoes Bit poster

Workaround for memory bug

Using Fedora Core 6 I've managed to workaround the 512MB only bug by passing "agp=off" as a kernel argument. I've successfully booted multiple times with 1024MB and 1500MB of memory.

For those you don't know how to pass a kernel argument.. right as the virtual machine is starting up there's a countdown screen, press the return key before boot continues. Hit 'a' to append an argument and just add " agp=off" to the commandline. If that works, you can make the change permanent by editting /boot/grub/menu.lst as root.

Hope this helps (it certainly helped me).

-Dave