Sending Files from---

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Chris2, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Bit poster

Windows VM, to Mac OS?

possible?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Yep. It's possible.

3. Chris2

Chris2 Bit poster

Well, do you think you can elaborate on it?

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

in 3036 you just drag and drop
    in 1970 and earlier, use the Parallels Shared Folder

5. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

In 3036 you can drag and drop:

in windowed mode, drag off the windows VM window and onto OS X
    In coherence, drag any file from explorer right onto the OS X desktop

In 1970... You have mutliple solutions

You can setup PSF (parallels shared folders) through the VM configuration options (while it is stopped.) These showup on the desktop by default in Windows.

I've worked on my own hybrid solution with some tips I've picked up here. I turn on "Windows Sharing" in OS X. Then in your windows VM you can install "Bounjour For Windows" right from the apple.com website. Now, in OS X you can setup the "computer name" in the sharing setup, i.e. mine is "themoon." So, by default computers on the local subnet can access "themoon.local" to access the OS X sharing. If you have shared networking turned on in the Windows VM, you will be part of the same subnet, and you can directly access that OS X share through "themoon.local", such as going to explorer and using the address: \\themoon.local or you may need to specify your home folder, depending on your SMB sharing options, where my home folder is "alex" you would use this in explorer: "\\themoon.local\alex"

Once you get this working, you can go into explorer and create a mapped network drive, which will permanently keep that network location mapped to a virtual drive in windows. Now I have a "Z" drive, which is mapped to the root of my OS X hard drive.

You do this through explorer, Tools > map network drive, and use the same address like \\themoon.local\alex

6. bkingbking

bkingbking Junior Member

Just installed Parallels 1970 and shared folders is not working for me. Here are the steps I've used:

1) Launch Parallels (but do not launch Windows XP vm)
    2) Click Edit button
    3) Click on Shared Folders
    4) Enabled shared folders checkbox is selected
    5) Click + button
    6)
    a) In dialogue box, enter Name = "WinMac", selected Path = "Desktop" and clicked OK, then OK again, and then Save. Launch Windows XP and click on shared folder on desktop and error message indicates that "Access to \\psf is denied. You might not have permission to use this network resource".

b) In dialogue box, enter Name = "Untitled", selected Path = existing directory called Rocket" and clicked OK, and then Save. Launch Windows XP and click on shared folder on Windows desktop and error message indicates that "Access to \\psf is denied. You might not have permission to use this network resource".

For the love of Henry, what is going on? Apple replaced my old Macbook Pro after about three months, and I had Parallels running smooth on the old MBP. Either I'm losing it or Parallels is different than the last time I set it up. Any help would be appreciated.