Endless Loop if "Start VM" and "Exit App" both selected

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by PubGuy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I have a probelm if the use selects under the VM Booting Options to set both the "Start VM Automatically when it is opened" and the "Exit application on VM shutdown". If something screws up, there is no way to get back to the property sheet to change configuration options. The VM either tries to automatically boot and if you try to kill the boot process, the VM quits. On next lauch, it starts the auto boot again. There is no way to return to the property sheet to change the settings. Be nice if you hold down the SHIFT key when booting Parallels it would bypass the auto start.

Next item: Coherence. Nice concept. Would be loads better if you could morph the Windows START function onto the Parallels icon so all the user would have to do is to click on the Parallels running icon to see the START menu and completely get rid of the Windows task bar.

The PAUSE button now pauses the VM again, whereas in the last build it SUSPENDED the VM. How do I change this option? I do't see any value to the Pause feature.

Drag n'drop works great!

Does Parallels intend to develop an "Undo Drives" function like what VPC has? That was the absolute safest way to safely install new Windows App, evaluate if you really like the app, before commiting the configuration to your master drive image. Is this something that Parallels is looking at?

Great job guys! Keep up the good work!

2. bryceb

bryceb Bit poster

Endless loop -- can not edit VM

I am also trapped in the endless loop. I selected my VM for starting automatically, and then quitting Parallels upon suspending/shut down, and I selected for the VM to open in Coherence mode. Unfortunately, the VM wants to start in full-screen mode, and I can not verify or change the view setting as it is now impossible to edit the VM configuration.

There should be a way to bypass the Parallels shutdown when the VM is stopped so that editing the VM is again possible.

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I've got a work-around to get it back working.

Take your HDD file and move it to the trash (Do NOT empty the trash, just move the file there temporarily).

Open Parallels and you should be able to get back to the configuration sheet.

Change your settings.

Save. Quit Parallels. Move your HDD from the trash back to where it belongs.

Restart Parallels.

.... see if that works for you.

4. mrs2nl

mrs2nl Bit poster

Fixed by editing winxp.pvs

Hi,
    Had the same problem. I solved it by opening the winxp.pvs file in textedit and modified the following entries:

Start auto = 1 => to 0
    AutoShutdown = 1 => 0

Hope this helps!

5. strategygeek

strategygeek Bit poster

Endless Loop in Beta not a result of VM settings

I posted my original comment under the beta announcement thread, but I'll cross list it here also. You can read the full comment at http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997-39.html (look for the post by strategygeek).

The issue is that manually changing the settings files to disable auto open and auto exit isn't a solution for me. I didn't enable them in the first place, the settings files all have them set to 0 (as I assume they always have), yet all of my VMs exhibit auto open and auto exit behavior. For me, at least, the beta is non-responsive to these settings--its auto open and auto exit behavior is hard wired into the program.

If you're having a similar issue with the beta, the best work around is temporarily moving or renaming the .hdd file for the machine you need to update. Do this, start the VM, edit the settings you need to change (remember, if you're like me you needn't bother with auto open and auto exit flags because they're already unchecked anyway), close the VM and then put the .hdd back like it was. It's more painful than it should be, but it works.

Hopefully Parallels will have this issue resolved before the 2.5 dev branch goes gold.