"Use Boot Camp" option grayed out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rorschachm, Dec 3, 2006.

1. collinong

collinong Junior Member

i'm having the same problem with the Boot Camp option greyed out. I have a separate physical hard disk installed with windows on it that I want to use exclusively for Parallels, thus I don't need Boot Camp installed on it. Yet Parallels won't recognize it. I think they need to loosen up the criteria for recognizing a drive for use with Parallels.

2. clarkcox3

clarkcox3 Bit poster

Could someone who has had success in getting Parallels working with a BootCamp partition post a copy of their pvs file? I'd like to see if I can't adapt it to get it working on my machine.

3. haralds

haralds Member

It worked on my machine. Then I had to resinstall OS X. I also reinstalled bootcamp.

Windows is working fine, but the option is still greyed out in Parallels. I uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels without success.

This is a big issue for me, since many applications are shared and reside on the Windows partition.

-- Harald

4. rotakiwi

rotakiwi Bit poster

Is there any news about the greyed out option?

Victor

5. sabotage

sabotage Bit poster

Mine is greyed out after using Boot Camp Assistant to remove the partition because it was too small. So I created a new bigger partition, and reinstalled XP, along with Parallels Boot Camp tools. But, I cannot create a Boot Camp vm as the option is greyed out.

PLEASE HELP!

6. sabotage

sabotage Bit poster

Well I just completely reinstalled my whole mac, OSX/XPPro and all. Still, the option is greyed out. I would have thought after all the work of reinstalling, that it would have fixed it.

It must have something to do with how Boot Camp Assistant restores the startup disk to a single partition, since like I said I am back up and running with a stock setup.

Help?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  7. SenorUnimog

SenorUnimog Bit poster

3 partitions...

I know this doesnt really pertain to the topic of this thread, or parallels for that matter... But does anyone have a site or instructions to create an HFS, NTFS and FAT32 partion? I'm trying to set up a system exactly like the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread. The only info I've been able to find on this was on a linux wiki and was very confusing.

Thanks for any input

8. eeboarder

eeboarder Junior Member

9. SenorUnimog

SenorUnimog Bit poster

Perfect, Thanks a million!

10. eeboarder

eeboarder Junior Member

Is this fixed for Beta2????

11. vinneh

vinneh Member

SUPPORT TEAM!!! PLEASE?!?!!?! this is a huge issue for us :(

12. eeboarder

eeboarder Junior Member

Nope. Still doesn't work.

13. amahler

amahler Bit poster

I had the same problem with it being grayed out. I have a 5 GB Boot Camp partition on my 17" MacBook Pro. I also had a FAT32 partition on one of my external Firewire 800 drives that I used as a go-between partition for files shared between the two operating systems.

On a whim today, I decided to disconnect the firewire drive and, for the first time, the Boot Camp partition option was ungrayed.

Later tonight, with the firewire drive re-attached, I tried to open the new Boot Camp VM and it claimed it could not find the Boot Camp drive associated with the VM. I disconnected the firewire drive and the VM began working again with no complaints.

So, in my case at least, it appears that the presence of other NTFS/FAT32 partitions hoses Parallels in this regard.

- Aaron

14. eeboarder

eeboarder Junior Member

I attemped to unmount my FAT partition and still had the same problem. :(

15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Bit poster

Mmmmh. Still not working in current Beta. This is a release critical issue. Maybe Parallels Team has some hints for us?! Looking forward.

16. chrisdressler

chrisdressler Junior Member

Same Issue Here

I've tried the suggestions above and I still can't get this to work either (Boot Camp option is greyed out). I'm running Vista RTM in Boot Camp. Help Parallels! :confused:

17. wcprice

wcprice Bit poster

Possible Solution to Greyed Out Problem

I have a Mac Pro, single disk, boot camp on a second partition. My solution to the greyed out boot camp option??? Disconnect my external Firewire hard drive. The minute I did that, I was able to get the boot camp XP installation working under Parallels. Don't know how many people this will work for, but it did the trick for me.

There are still some problems -- XP under Parallels runs REALLY slowly. And I am being asked to revalidate Windows under Parallels.

Clark Price

18. chrisdressler

chrisdressler Junior Member

More information about my issue...

One thing I forgot to mention that I noticed while trying to troubleshoot this. When I try to create a new VM, I select the "Custom" install option and then select Windows / Window Vista. On the next step, I see "Use Boot Camp" greyed out.

But, if I do the same thing as above and instead select "Windows / Windows XP", "Use Boot Camp" is active and clickable on the next step.

So it would seem that Parallels can indeed see my Boot Camp partition, but for some reason selecting the "Vista" OS option isn't working for me. I've also tried connecting and disconnecting FireWire devices and that doesn't seem to help either.

19. vinneh

vinneh Member

bump........

20. vinneh

vinneh Member

everyone do this.
    open a terminal.
    macbook:~ vinny$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *74.5 GB disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS osx 40.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data 10.0 GB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data 24.2 GB disk0s4

macbook:~ vinny$ mount
    /dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
    fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)
    automount -fstab [214] on /automount/Servers (nfs, automounted)
    automount -static [214] on /automount/static (nfs, automounted)

windows xp 32 ntfs on disk 0s4 (the last partition on disk0)

bootcamp option is grey.

HELP :mad: