New to Parallels -- pls help

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by flipper, Dec 11, 2006.

1. flipper

flipper Bit poster

Actually I am thinking of getting it since the price is pretty good. Anyhow here is my issue. I am desperately trying to setup a domain network between two Virtual Machines. One is Server 2003 and the other is XP. Basically for now all I want to do is practice setting up a domain on Server 2003 and then join the domain in XP. Then practice group policy stuff.

Here is my dilemma. Been trying for the last 10 days using VM Ware 5.5 (30-day trial) to get this to work and all I have been getting are errors telling me IP addresses are wrong no matter what setting I use or network can't be found, etc....

I DO have a router if that makes a difference. D-link DI-824VUP

If I get Paralles, which most likely will, (A) is this easy to setup as I want? And (B) can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to get it working. Think of me as a dummy if you are able to tell me. To me it does not matter if I use a static address or a DHCP as long as this works. For example do I hard code which NIC, etc....

Thanks so much in advance. :)

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

REALLY BAD forum decorum. Never post the same question in multiple forums. If you haven't got a clue about where to post, then read and understand until you do!

3. flipper

flipper Bit poster

ok thanks for the imput but so far you waisted 2 posts and have not helped me at all. Perhaps you could lend a suggestion. You did say to post in a more appropiate spot and that is what I did.

In any case, is there a specifc way to find out what IP addressing sceme I need to choose when using Parallels. Keep in mind this is not a real network. This is being used in my house for practice. I have a D-link router and then I am sure Parallels has some addressing sceme to work as well.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Mostly, you need to do a lot of reading. Start with forum decorum. Then you need to read about windwoes network administration. After that, the Parallels user guide will be a lot clearer to you.

What was the answer you got to this question when you posed it on the vmware forum?

5. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Ok flipper... ignore the other posts.
    Since you have a home router, it's all much easier. Set the router to lend DHCP IP addresses to your machines. Next, setup up both virtual machines to bridged network connections. This way, they'll get private IP's that are valid inside your home.
    Up to this point your virtual machines should be able to ping each other (drop the firewalls first, for testing). Anything else, keep posting :)

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

Virtualisation is something that requires some sys admin type skills, though Parallels has come very close to the point where probably no sys admin skills, is ok. If one can have sys admin skills, this will be of benifit for pear shaped situations with virtualisation.

As for domain networks between different windwoes versions, this definately requires windohs network admin skills. From the sound of it, "all I want to do is practice setting up a domain", you have never done this before. In reality, a microswift forum would have been a much better place to post for this info.

As luck would have it, a member of these forums is willing to give windwoes networking support. Lucky you.