crash at application lauch

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by globzalex, Dec 12, 2006.

1. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

Hello

I have sent this to the support something like 10 times and I am trying the forum now.
    I have searched the forum but did not found an answer.
    So here is my problem (I have tried several builds without success).

Here is what I get (crash at application lauch) with Parallels Desktop 3036 Mac en.dmg

Dec 12 18:03:27 Ordinateur-de-alexone authexec: executing /bin/sh
    /tmp/pwuninst.sh: line 42: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels.app/Contents/Resources/PvsvnicConfigure: No such file or directory
    /usr/libexec/InternetSharing: permission denied
    can't add repository (not a directory).
    dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL
    Referenced from: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    /Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    Dec 12 18:04:58 Ordinateur-de-alexone crashdump[1540]: Parallels crashed
    Dec 12 18:04:58 Ordinateur-de-alexone crashdump[1540]: crash report written to: /Users/alexone/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log
    dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL
    Referenced from: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels
    /Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    Dec 12 18:06:39 Ordinateur-de-alexone crashdump[1561]: Parallels crashed
    Dec 12 18:06:39 Ordinateur-de-alexone crashdump[1561]: crash report written to: /Users/alexone/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log

And in Parallels.crash.log I get:

Host Name: Ordinateur-de-alexone
    Date/Time: 2006-12-12 18:06:39.465 +0100
    OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Parallels
    Path: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels
    Parent: WindowServer [62]

Version: 2.5 (2.5 Build 3036.0)

PID: 1560
    Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL

I even tried to install http://www.openal.org/downloads.html before/after installing Paralles. No succes either.

2. taosmouse

taosmouse Bit poster

Same thing happens to me...

I've been running Partallels since the first publically available download, and it will not launch now that I have moved to a Core2 Duo MBP 15". I try to run it, the icon bounces once in the dock, and nothing else happens.

I tried launching various VMs, removing the preferences, and clearing all caches (using Onyx). I installed and reinstalled, and I moved up to 3306. Nothing helps. I also tried a support by email request; I got my mail returned (user unknown) from the web form.

I am on a project at a major bank subcontracting for one of the larger software companies. I recommended Parallels as part of the consulting practice, and they said yes, deliver the VM's and we'll license it for all of our consultants.

And then the music died...

Help me please?

3. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

I still believe the product is great... when it works...

Too bad the support is very weak.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

I had a similar problem with one of the early betas. Uninstalling with a sledge hammer and then tweezers didn't help. I ended up wiping my hard disk and reinstalling OSX when even archive and install didn't work. The folks at the genius bar thought I had a bad install DVD, but a clean OSX install solved the problem. (No data lost since backups 'R' us). Computers are sometimes like that.

5. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

it used to work fine until I tried http://secondlife.com/downloads/viewer/SecondLife_1_13_0_8.dmg

Since then (even after uninstalling 2nd Life) no version of Parallels has ever worked again. This "conflict" scenario reminded me of the computer old days...

I don't want to spend hours reinstalling the whole OS !!

6. taosmouse

taosmouse Bit poster

My Solution

I was trawling around in terminal and I found a file in my home directory called .parallels_settings. I opened this in vi and it looked like gibberish. I renamed it to .parallels_settings_old and voila! Parallels loads now.

I checked my license and it says my product is active, so I hope I haven't trashed my license (I've moved on to the current beta which may not need licenses).

So:

Open Terminal and type:

ls -a

You should see in there a file called .parallels_settings. Now rename it to parallels_settings_old:

mv .parallels_settings parallels_settings_old

Things should now work. Check you license though; I suspect that's what this is. YMMV, and please don't shoot me if this doesn't work for you.

7. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

thanks for your suggestion that sounded great... but it did not work for me :(
    still the same crash right at application launch...
    same crash log files...

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

.Parallels_Settings is a plain text file and has nothing to do with licensing. It's where Parallels remembers where your recent VMs are and where the initial window should be.

9. taosmouse

taosmouse Bit poster

Good To Know

I figured as much. My licensing is still valid and 3036 has not re-created this file. I don't have any other suggestions for globzalex since mine is working and I have no other indication that our problems were linked.

10. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

thanks for the help.

I have tried to create a new MacOs X user and tried to install Parallels. I have tried to switch my OS language to English... no success...

I really think my problem has something to see with that OpenAL thing.

11. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

I have just noticed something strange.

If I install Parallels Beta or 1970 the folder containing the application displays this icon that means "read-only" !

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  12. taosmouse

taosmouse Bit poster

Mine also shows read-only, but I'm running...

13. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

anybody from Parallels reading ?????

14. rlimberger

rlimberger Bit poster

i am not sure if this will help you guys, but i also had a bouncing doc icon and then crash at startup. in my case, it turned out that Parallels "doesn't like" when you have a copy of the Trolltech QT toolkit installed as well. i had to completely remove /usr/local/Trolltech and after that it was fine.

good luck,
    -r

15. globzalex

globzalex Bit poster

personally I started to have problems with Parallels right after I installed Second Life !!!

This "conflict" thing is so archaic ! First time it happens to me on OS X...