Linux install hangs loading IDE support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BladeRunner, Dec 19, 2006.

1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Junior Member

I have beta 3036 installed.

I have installed several virtual systems that run just fine - including WinXP-Pro and Solaris 10. My problem is, I can't get versions of Linux to install. I have tried PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu and Kubuntu all with about the same results.

I boot the live-CD version of Kubuntu and run the install to hard disk routine. I get the virtual hard disk partitioned, formatted and files copied. Then, it does hardware detection and starts loading the required modules and hangs loading an IDE support module.

The last printed message says: "Loading module ace62xx for IDE chipset support" It has been like that for the past 4 hours. I can kill the install process but then I need to start over and it hangs in the same spot.

If anyone has experienced and solved this problem I would greatly appreciate some pointers on how to solve my problem.

2. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Not sure if this solves your particular problem, but I much prefer installing from the "alternative" Ubuntu CD which has a non-graphical (but still pretty friendly) install. Less to go wrong.

Existing VMs of "Dapper" and "Edgey" both work for me under the beta, although I haven't re-installed them since upgrading. Neither use the ace62xx IDE module you mention - they use "ide_disk" and "piix".

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Junior Member

I took your suggestion and it worked. I have a Kubuntu install DVD which has both install and live-cd options. I had been using the live-cd -> install option because when I entered install at boot time the text based install option screens were small and hard for me to read.

I started over with a clean virtual disk and used the text based install option and it ran to completion without a problem.

Many thanks for the suggestion.