DSL works with VM WinXP, Cable doesn't

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mschool, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mschool

mschool Member

Has anyone had this problem before?

I am attempting to switch from DSL to Cable internet service. My DSL is still active, and I have no connectivity problems with my iMAC running OSX and Parallels VM running WinXP

I connected my iMac to the Motorola Surfboard modem directly. Mac OSX has full connectivity (Safari, VPN) but the VM does not. When I run Explorer, I have no connectivity, and Explorer gives me the option to run the automatic diagnostics program and this is what I get (table below)

The cable support team told me that I had to re-install my NIC card (I told him it was software and he had never heard of such a thing), but rather than attempt to do that, I 'm wondering of there is a special setting for cable as opposed to DSL. Does anyone know about this? I am running Bridged Ethernet.

Last diagnostic run time: 12/18/06 17:13:27 IP Configuration Diagnostic
    Invalid IP address

info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.18.171
    action Automated repair: Renew IP address
    action Releasing the current IP address...
    action Successfully released the current IP address
    action Renewing the IP address...
    error Error renewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    action Automated repair: Reset network connection
    action Disabling the network adapter
    action Enabling the network adapter
    info Network adapter successfully enabled
    action Manual repair: Reboot modem
    action Automated repair: Renew IP address
    action Releasing the current IP address...
    action Successfully released the current IP address
    action Renewing the IP address...
    error Error renewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    info Redirecting user to support call

Wireless Diagnostic
    Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Parallels Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=StoryPR, Device=WAN Miniport (PPTP), MediaType=TUNNEL, SubMediaType=NONE
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

It appears that your cable modem doesn't have a working DHCP server. IMNSHO, you should never connect a machine directly to the internet anyway, so getting an inexpensive firewall router with a built in DHCP server will probably solve your problem. $40 to $50 should do it.

I wouldn't dream of connecting anything here directly to the net -- it all goes through my router and the firewall blocks dozens of intrusion attempts an hour.

3. mschool

mschool Member

Thanks joem. I'll give that a try. I do in fact have a router for my DSL service and was going to switch it over for cable once I knew everything worked. If in fact this is the gating factor for my WinXP VM, I'll give it a try and see if the problem gets corrected. Thanks a lot for your help on this.

4. cann11

cann11 Bit poster

I have a similar situation, the cable modem is going into the ethernet port, and the dls attached router is going over airport. It works ok but every once in a while I lose the airport connection in the vm and have to restart the vm. Remember in windows you can have only one default gateway (the connection that accesses the internet) so under tcp properties you need to set the one you want to access the net with a higer priority than the other. set the interface metric to 0 for the connection to access the net, and a higher number for the other. From the windows command propt type "route Print" to see how your connection is now.

I do open source development in a windows vm on an imac 20 in.

http://distributed-home.com/wordpress/?p=18

5. mschool

mschool Member

cann 11,

Thank you for this suggestion. I have the same componants and will give this a try as well.

6. iNfEk

iNfEk Junior Member

I'm experiencing this problem as well. I'm switching from DSL to cable. The DSL modem had a built in router in it and when I plug the DSL modem in I get an internet connection and I'm able to surf the web the same as I am on my mac. When I plug my Cable modem in directly into my MacBook Pro the connection drops. I tried renewing the IP address via the command prompt but it will not resolve anything. I get the error message stating that I have limited or no connectivity. I'm able to surf the web with my Mac via the Cable modem just not within parallels. Everything up until now has been set to Dynamically assign the information and has been working up until I installed build 1970/3036 and it worked fine.

Is the problem that I don't have a router connected between the computer and the cable modem? why is this now a problem?

HELP

7. iNfEk

iNfEk Junior Member

It's not just with windows xp it's with all the other windows versions as well. If I plug my dsl line into the ethernet port on my macbook pro i can renew the ip and i can get connected.. it's with my cable modem i cannot.

8. joem

joem Forum Maven

You need a DHCP server. Apparently, your DSL modem has one and your cable modem doesn't. You also, IMO, need a firewall router between your machine and the Internet to avoid having your Windows machine exploited within the first half hour you are on the net. You can get a firewall and a router from any of several manufacturers for about $50-60. I wouldn't run without one.

9. cann11

cann11 Bit poster

It could be that your isp/cable modem restricts the number of ip addresses the modem can use, and your cable modem sees the vm as a seperate ip adress thus another workstation. I know when running with a router the vm shows up as a seperate Ip. A long time ago when I first got my cable service I requested multiple Ip's, I don't know if I need that anymore, probably just throwing 4 dollars a month away, but my cable modem can handle 3 ip addresses.

If that is the case you may need to use either shared or host only networking.

BTW: software firewalls work pretty well too. I really just use the vm to do cross platform development. This works quite well when you want to develop in Java for both mac and pc platforms.

www.distributed-home.com/wordpress

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

My suggestion is still a firewall router. Clever malware might disable a software firewall, but it can't get to a hardware one, and the router will allow as many machines (usually up to 250 or so) as you like. Paying an ISP for extra addresses just so you can run more than one machine is only useful if you are running servers. A NAT router is a cheaper and more secure solution.