Command & Conquer?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MacClueless, Dec 16, 2006.

1. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

Anyone think I could play Command & Conquer: Zero Hour on Parallels? It's not a super graphics game.

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

You know it is available for the Mac??????

Both PPC and Intel?

Robin

3. akac

akac Hunter

Oh yes it is... its very graphically demanding and requires 3d acceleration.

4. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

As I understand it, the Mac version can't plan on a LAN with the PC versions?

5. fortyseventeen

fortyseventeen Bit poster

Isn't that ANNOYING??!? The same thing happened when Age of Empires (the first) was released for Macs. The problem was that in adapting the game to OS X, they changed the version number, so the game itself detected a version mismatch when trying to network win/mac versions of the game together.

I actually haven't tried C&C for Mac, but I'm guessing it's a similar problem.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  6. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

...so it won't work?

7. hippotech

hippotech Member

Hi - I have Command and Conquer Red Alert running in Win95 Parallels partition without any problems whatsoever.

Not sure if this is comperable to Zero Hour.

Hippo

8. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

For Zero Hour, either use the Mac version. Or the PC version in Bootcamp.

9. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

Because it WON'T work in Parallels?

10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

That's right. From a quick look of the specs, to start with it requires a 32mb video card. AFAIK, Parallels only virtualises a 4, or an 8mb card ( I could be wrong there, but that is the least of the problems ). In addition to that, it will use either Direct3D or OpenGL for rendering ( I don't know if it has software rendering ), neither of which Parallels has implemented. Bottom line, follow the advice from above; use Boot Camp, or buy a native Mac version.

There is a thread somwhere on here that lists all the games that have been verified as working; they are all older titles. Basically, Parallels isn't for gaming ( yet ).