Installation Nightmare !!!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BBH, Dec 18, 2006.

1. BBH

BBH Junior Member

I am installing XP Home in Parallels and about every second or third file the installation stops while I must either ask the installer to "try again" or hit the "esc" key to bypass this particular file. This with the proviso that the whole thing might not work when I ultimately press finish after I pass on a file with "esc".

This is a brand new, legal, first time out of the box, copy of XP Home. Lordy, can't there be a GLOBAL selection that says, "...try twice, then "esc"...or something like that?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Some folks have had success with making an iso image of the install disk and installing from that. Use Image Tool if you want to try it. Some XP install disks apparently don't play well with Macs.

3. BBH

BBH Junior Member

Thanks.. I'll try that. I did a BootCamp installation with no problems, but perhaps the image work-around is the ticket for Parallels.

Or... since any XP installation is such a time waster, I think I'll wait until the folks here fix the FAT32 vs BootCamp issue.

Thanks again.

4. BBH

BBH Junior Member

Overcame my nightmare !!

I was able to load up Parallels with a copy of a friend's XP Home Upgrade CD. Apparently, my CD is somehow marred. I used the product code from my copy when prompted. Since I have a copy that works AND a legitimate product key (from disk that is somehow damaged...) I think I will just live with it.

I don't have my receipt or I would take it back for an exchange with CompUSA.