Need USB 2.0!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jjfcpa@mindspring.com, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jjfcpa@mindspring.com

jjfcpa@mindspring.com Member

When will we get USB 2.0 support in Parallels?

I've had nothing but problems with USB 1.1 in Parallels. I try to use an external USB hard drive for WinXP backups and it continually locks up WinXP and Parallels. I usually have to just shutoff Parallels and I'm worried that one day, it won't reboot.

This has really turned out to be a sore point for me because go back to USB 1.1 is NOT a good option with all the USB 2.0 devices out there. Some, such as camera, may not be backwards compatible.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Maybe you want to use the same technique I use to back up my XP session. I simply backup the directory where my parallel sessions are located.

3. jjfcpa@mindspring.com

jjfcpa@mindspring.com Member

I've done this, but it takes 20 minutes to backup my 18 gig VM files. If I only backed up the files that changes, it might take a minute or two. Perhaps if I did incremental backups, it would be faster, but if I had USB 2.0 support, I would be able to see my backup files instead of just the VM file.

4. pwith

pwith Member

Why don't you just buy a windows PC??

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Look up rsync, it works very well as an alternative if you want to do incrementals

6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

You coud set your Documents folder on a Shared Folder with Mac OS and only keep your system and program files on the VM image. That would alleviate some of the bulk.

Before I went Mac I did that with Windows. I kept all my documents on a seperate partition. That way if anything ever happened to the Windows disk, my documents were safe and I made an image of the Windows partition with all programs installed. If anything every went wrong (viruses, or disk error, etc...) I could bypass all the re-install time by just restoring the image. And no need to move my documents since they were safe in their locale already.

Just point your My Documents folder to a Shared Folder on Mac OS. Of course, if you're using a Bootcamp partition, that won't work, unless you never use Bootcamp natively thence forth.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  7. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

For the interim, things will go faster if you do a samba mount on your USB drive and then access it as a networked drive from XP.

Not optimal, I know, but it will get you by until 2.0 support comes out.

rickb