XP / Web Access / Explorer

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by asglass, Dec 19, 2006.

1. asglass

asglass Bit poster

I've installed Windows XP on my Mac Pro (OSX) using parallels. I'm having trouble accessing internet sites using Explorer on the Virtual Machine. I'm on a home network using a cable modem.

I can confirm that the connection is working because i can get results of a google search (my start page is google) from Explorer while in XP. However I cannot access the pages if I click a link from the results, nor can I access any page if I type the URL in the address bar. Explorer times out.

the network adapter in parallels is set for bridged ethernet; default adapter
    I've set the Memory to 604 MB ( i have 2 GB total on the machine)

my first thought was that i needed to lower the security features of Explorer in XP, did it - didn't work, then i thought of adding the two pages i need to visit to the safe list of URL's in Explorers preferences, did it -didn't work.

Please help.

I only need XP to visit two crutial web sites for my business which only support a newer version of Explorer (v.6 or later). I made the jump from a PC to the MAC the day the new Intel Macs came out. i've been caught using two machines to solve my problem (one pc and my MAC) ever since. I'm trying the forum to get support because thus far i've been unable to do so from parallels directly (including paying for phone support and not reaching a technician or getting a return call for 7 days)... Apple Store says they can't help with parallels.

i'm desparate, and looking for any advice you can muster...

many, many thanks,
    Allan

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

That's a strange one. A couple of things you might try would be switch to shared networking mode. If that doesn't work, use OSX to look up the IP address of a site you want to access and in IE, type its IP address into the address box (in the form http://xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa where xxx. etc. represent the address values) and see if that gets you to the page. If it does, you have a DNS problem and setting an explicit DNS IP in your XP network properties should help.

To find the DNS server XP is using, open a command prompt and type
    ping google.com
    The first dotted quad will be the DNS server address.

3. asglass

asglass Bit poster

ping/ ip/ no connection

thanks for the advise. unfortunately no success.

I've pinged the sites in question and they still don't load with the ip typed into the address line of explorer in the VM (using the format http:// xxx.xx.xxx.xx).

i've also tried switching my connecton in the VM to Host Only; again no success.

my current settings are as follows:

in the VM:

Bridged Ethernet: EnO adapter

in sharing from preferences on OSX:

share your computer from: Built in Ethernet 1 ( i also have the option of parallels host-guest adapter, don't know which i should be set to)

to computers using: Ethernet adapter (En3) and Built-In Ethernet1 are both checked

4. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

I am having that same problem with Internet Explorer. I have one question for you and two possible solutions. Do you need Internet Explorer to access those sites? You can check by visiting them through your Safari browser on Mac OS X. If you do not need Internet Explorer to visit the site, then get Mozilla Firefox (you can search for it through Safari) and download the windows version to a floppy disk or memory stick or burn to DVD/CD ROM (after the download), then install it in windows. If you need Internet Explorer to access those sites, then tell it to work offline, and then disable it (after it request the service being used) everytime it requests a connection type (only works for bridged ethernet mode). The only 100% thing to get you a constant connection is to get Firefox, because it detects what you want IE to detect (in terms of an internet connection through Parallels). I hope this helps, because these are my only solutions for you.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Have you tried setting networking to shared?

6. asglass

asglass Bit poster

thanks to you both.

yes these two particular real estate sites require that i use explorer ONLY! Very aggravating. they also require a constant connection as they are databases that i continually pull information from.

the sites will not even work with firefox emulating explorer...

Joem, i have tried sharing the connection. doesn't solve my problem. as i said i can verify i get a network connection, because i get results of a google search regardless of the search term i use. i just can't seem to make a connection to the resulting sites. I did notice that on occasion a site will actually work, but i can't seem to develop a pattern. two that did are

www.air.com
    www.dog.com

??

any other tips / tricks / direction to support personel would greatly be appreciated.

7. asglass

asglass Bit poster

xp / explorer / internet access problems

I am overjoyed to report that the 1970 firmware upgrade has mysteriously solved my access problem.

i'm not sure how or why, but it now works and i have full access to websites over my network. great job to the staff for their work on the update.

thanks,
    asglass:D