Beta 4 is alot BETTER!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tdaulerio, Apr 18, 2006.

1. tdaulerio

tdaulerio Bit poster

WOW
    This is getting better and better, it really is.

One scary moment, when upgrading from beta 1 to 4, my MBP crashed half way through installation. Just had to restart my MBP and continue the installation and it worked fine, but keep up the good work, im gonna buy the full thing tomorrow at the 39,99 price, so well done Parallels!!!

2. DarylF2

DarylF2 Member

I agree, it is much better! After beta 3 force-rebooted my iMac immediately after running it for the first time (even though beta 2 had been 100% stable for me), I decided to forgo Parallels until beta 4.

I just installed Parallels 2.1 beta 4, and used it to uninstall Parallels Tools (from beta 2). After rebooting, Parallels force-rebooted my iMac again when booting into Windows XP. Well, I decided to give beta 4 another try... After verifying my HDD with Disk Utility (it was okay), I ran Parallels 2.1 beta 4 again (now with no Parallels Tools installed), and it was fine. I ran chkdsk (which made me reboot XP to check my virtual Windows disk, which was also okay), then I re-installed Parallels Tools (from beta 4) and rebooted, and all seems well.

On a REALLY positive note, I tried running my custom MFC/OpenGL application. With Parallels 2.1 beta 2, the OpenGL displays were REALLY slow, so slow as to be unusable. With Parallels 2.1 beta 4, they are much faster! They are at least as fast as when running this same application over RDC from my Dell XPS. This is a TREMENDOUS improvement! Bravo!

I do wish that we could still reposition the tool bar, which was dropped with either beta 3 or beta 4. I liked it on the side, as with it on the top the Parallels status bar is now cut off (I run Windows in Paralells at 1280x960 on my 20" 1680x1050 iMac)...

3. VTMac

VTMac Pro

You can reposition the tool bar .. just not drag and drop now. Change it in preferences. I've moved mine back to the right side where it belongs. ;)

4. PCMacGuy

PCMacGuy Junior Member

Working well here too. . .

b4 is working better for me too!

Here's what is working:

CyTV no longer causes a kernel panic - Yippee!

Sound is working - Win 2k.

Not working yet:

Decimal key still not working on the numeric pad.

Video and sound are little off. Video about a 1/2 second ahead of the sound. But sound works in Win 2k. I will have to test with XP soon. But for what I need Win 2k is just fine.

So far I haven't had a crash since Saturday (b3.) So very impressed. Very impressive that you can load the new versions of Parallels and not even have to reboot you machine. Try that on Windows!

I've shutdown my Dual 64Bit Pentium as I don't need it any more to run VMware. Parallels is very fast, faster than VMware with 1 GB of dedicated ram. I'm only using 256MB and all my apps run just fine. I am totally surprised how well CorelDRAW 12 works. The VNC speed to my other Mac is very nice.

Who would of ever thought that Apple would make a really great PC for running Windows! I'm look forward to showing this system off to my very good PC friend. He's going to be impressed!

5. tdaulerio

tdaulerio Bit poster

Purchased - woohooo

Have to admit this is prob one of the best bits of s/w i've paid for in a LONG time!

Well done!