Mouse and Keyboard not responding 3306

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chosenken, Dec 2, 2006.

1. chosenken

chosenken Junior Member

Yo. I installed the latest beta build, then set up a new VM to boot off my Boot Camp partition. I had already gone in and installed the stuff for paralles to run there. I create the VM, launch it, and it boots up for me. The keyboard works while I select which version of XP to boot, XP pro or Parallels config. As soon as I get to the login screen, the mouse and keyboard do not work. I click in the VM, but nothing happens. I can not move the mouse, or enter my password. I know its not frozen because the courser is blinking in the password field. Any one else have this issue?

2. craigjm

craigjm Bit poster

I'm having the same issue on my MacBook. My Windows installation automatically logs in as Administrator, though, so I get past the login screen. Unfortunately, it gets hung up installing drivers because I can't click the OK button to proceed.

3. einfachtimo

einfachtimo Bit poster

Same Problem :confused:

4. mark.s

mark.s Bit poster

I fixed this by changing the vm properties to automatically connect usb devices (not at my Mac at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact setting).

Mark

5. thiemo

thiemo Bit poster

I've got the same problem here: Can't control neither the mouse nor the keyboard as soon as Windows is booted. Windows is not frozen although.

The hint in the post before did not work.

Help is apreciated.

6. bhagiratha

bhagiratha Member

I am also having the same problem on my MBP core 2 duo.

7. JordiPalet

JordiPalet Bit poster

Same problem, even with build 1970 ...

I started with beta 3036 in a MacBook Pro. I used a previous image from Virtual PC via the Transporter utility, which worked fine.

I was able to use the new "transported" image with 3036, but at some point, the mouse and keyboard not responded anymore. I was sure that the VM was still working and I've veryfied it in several ways.

The situation is generated immediately after I use the keyboard (even a single keystroke). If I only use the mouse, it works correctly (until I use the keyboard !).

I decided to try using that image with build 1970, and I've the same problem. So it seems to me that transporter or build 3036 generate the problem ?

I tried many different configurations (USB, no USB, etc.), same problem with all.

It seems also that it works fine if I choose the USB keyboard capture, but then the Mac OS X doesn't respond to the keyboard anymore, until I close the VM, so Mac OS X "recovers" the keyboard control.

Any hint about how to sort it out ?

8. ajschuster

ajschuster Bit poster

We're having the same problem and now everything's unusable! No keyboard, no mouse.... what is going on?? It didn't used to be like this until I installed Parallel Tools.

9. thiemo

thiemo Bit poster

By the way, I'm using Bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse. Others here with the problem too?

10. ajschuster

ajschuster Bit poster

Where is the responsibility?

How can the company ignore such a glaring problem? This should be addressed immediately!

11. jcoireangus

jcoireangus Bit poster

I've got the same issue, more or less. I'm trying to use a boot camp XP partition as a virtual machine. Problem, no mouse control. I suspect the problem is with the Parallels Tools installation in the XP installation. Why?
    1. When I launch the Parallels virtual machine I lose mouse control. I do keep keyboard control. I was able to login and navigate. What I saw that is important is this: several "new found hardware" dialog boxes. This suggests that the drivers were not all present.
    2. There was no short cut on the desk top to the parallels tools like I saw in my other virtual machines.

I decided to try to uninstall parallel tools and reinstall as described in the user manual:

"First of all, you must uninstall Parallels Tools (NOT Parallels Tools for Boot Camp) while
    you run the virtual machine. For this, select Start--> Programs-->Parallels-->Uninstall Parallels
    Tools. "

Much to my surprise, I am unable to find a "Parallels" subdirectory in the Program directory.

Conclusion is that although the Parallel Tools installer says the job was completed successfully, the evidence is that they were incompletely installed. My guess is that drivers are missing.

So... food for thought. Any other ideas on how to fix this problem?

12. jcoireangus

jcoireangus Bit poster

Mouse not working in Parallels virtual machine when using boot camp partition. Problem solved for me at least!

Solution: Carefully read the instructions in the user manual. Key points:

- Parallel Tools for Boot Camp and Parallel Tools are two DIFFERENT installations. I thought they were the same and found the directions confusing.

- the manual says that the mouse may not work and that you have to use the key board to login and install parallel tools from the virtual machine. Absolutely correct.

Once logged in, you regain control of the mouse with the "control alt" keyboard option then install Parallel tools via the MAC actions menu.

My mistake was simple. I only installed Parallel Tools for Boot Camp after booting with Boot Camp. I didn't follow up and install Parallel Tools from the virtual machine.

I hope this helps someone else and I hope the writers of the manual make this more clear.

13. Mainstay

Mainstay Bit poster

For what it's worth... I had the same exact problem on a shiny new MacBook Core 2 Duo 15". After loading 3036 twice and rolling back to 1970, I decided to wipe the computer and start with a fresh install of OSX (as opposed to install from factory). This did the trick and everything works perfectly.

I did notice a few oddities prior to reinstalling OSX: First, the mouse in both OSX and Windows seemed touchy... can't describe it more than that. Second, when installing VM Tools in 1970 failed the first time around when it came to the mouse drivers. After reinstalling 1970, it worked. However, upgrading to 3036 failed completely. I suspected something might have been wrong with the drivers in the factory install hence the reason why I wiped the drive and started over.

14. Muppetteer

Muppetteer Bit poster

Great idea in theory mate. Problem is Parallels Tools pops up a dialogue box for the installation which you have to press Next on. How do you propose I press the fscking next button when neither my mouse or keyboard (both usb) are responsive?

15. Muppetteer

Muppetteer Bit poster

Solution here...
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=6432

For the lazy basically you need to do this:
    1. Boot into Xp using bootcamp and Install VNC server
    2. Make sure VNC server is accessible through windows firewall
    3. Boot xp using parallels and start the install of Parallels Tools
    4. VNC into xp from osx and complete the tools installation

Lastly to parallels, I know this is a beta, but beta != "almost totally untested"

16. jcoireangus

jcoireangus Bit poster

Mouse and Keyboard not working

That's where your problems differ so much from mine. I only lose control of the mouse, not the keyboard. I did read some things when I searched this forum using the keyword "mouse". Some users had suggestions. I think one talked about keeping the mouse cursor out of the Parallels window and not "activating it" in Parallels. Another talked about going to the preferences and turning on a automatically activate usb option. I know these instructions are vague, you'll find the actual tips in other user's posts.

If this helps, I was using a Mac usb keyboard, a Mac optical mouse and a Kensington expert mouse. The keyboard worked. Neither mouse worked. So if the difference between us may be the keyboard.

Here's another observation/idea. I haven't tried this.

I think you can set up the Boot Camp XP instance to "auto login" as administrator without requiring a password. My guess is that if you set that up then try to start the virtual machine, it might auto log in.
    All you need is to log in. Once logged in, you use the command from the Mac menu to install the tools.

I hope this works...

(but I lucked out with a working keyboard so I'm out of the game)

:eek:

17. Muppetteer

Muppetteer Bit poster

My xp is set to auto login. In fact it does login, its just that neither the mouse or keyboard work once logged in (but the keyboard works before that to select the hardware profile). Automatically connect usb devices is selected.

What is even worse is now that parallels is installed I can't even boot into Bootcamp any more because I get the hardware profile menu to select bootcamp and the keyboard doesn't work! grrrr. So I can't even do the vnc workaround I described above.

So to recap...

option 1: boot xp using parallels - it logs in, no mouse or keyboard, so I can't install parallels tools or do anything else useful.
    option 2: boot xp using bootcamp - can't get past the hardware profile selection menu because keyboard doesn't work.

In other words my bootcamp partition is now useless.

I'm downloading the newer beta now, but I'm not hopeful because it says you have to uninstall parallels tools for bootcamp first, but how am I supposed to do that when I can no longer boot my boot camp partition. Thanks parallels for such a well tested product!

18. grimaceboy

grimaceboy Bit poster

Same Issue here

I just purchased a MBP yesterday. I already had Virtual PC by Microsoft on my machine. I installed the 3094 beta, and converted my VPC drive image.

My mouse and keyboard are very funky. I have found that if I use an external keyboard and mouse, they work in parallels but not mac OS X, and my built in keyboard and track pad work in OS X but not in Parallels. The really annoying thing about it is that the mouse in Parallels has no pointer graphic. I can only estimate where it is. I usually drag on the desktop and I can see the selection box moving around and use that to guess where the mouse it.

I have installed the parallels tools and run all Microsoft updaters, no love. So it seems I cant "Share" a mouse and keyboard, I have to dedicate one set to each os. I have tried turning on and off the auto USB capture option with no improvement.

19. palter

palter Hunter

Did you uninstall the Virtual PC tools in the converted image?

20. grimaceboy

grimaceboy Bit poster

No. I have had VPC with this install of XP for so long I forgot all about it them. I will try that ASAP. Thanks