How to Properly Update to 3094?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Fredric, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Fredric

Fredric Member

Please excuse me if this has been covered, but I am rather rattled right now, and couldn't seem to find anything else but using this with BootCamp.
    I just installed the 3094 Beta, which seems to have replaced my existing 1970. That would be OK, except that it seems to want to reinstall my Windows XP Pro. When I get to the part of the installation where I am to choose the name of my virtual machine, and enter it, I get a message that the machine already exists! Well yah, that is the one I want to use. Have I lost my original VM with all of the software & files that are already installed?

2. fellow

fellow Junior Member

same question

I looked through readmes/docs for the update process and found nothing. Maybe I did not look too hard. However, I could not access any old VMs when the new/updated app started. It would only allow a wizard new install.

So I am now trying TRANSPORTER. I have a good backup from last night, but I am concerned TRANSPORTER will mess up the VM. I think this process needs more documentation and ease.

I'm eager to try coherence, and I am so glad to see the effort Parallels has made all year! Great work! If only other companies were as driven and successful!

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Junior Member

You may have already tried this - if so, just ignore me.

I have found that you can import a working vm by just doing a double click on the associated .pvs file. It will open the vm and then - when you close it you should see that system listed in the Parallels inventory.

That should save you having to recreate your virtual OS.

4. Fredric

Fredric Member

I get a Parallel's window which shows the name of my "previous" VM, along with three other iterations of it. No matter which one I pick, and no matter which of the other buttons I press ("New", "Choose", or "Select") I am taken to the next window which shows my Windows XP as being "Stopped". However, when I press the green triangle to start it, I am always taken to the assistant for installing XP on the machine again. What is going on? Am I missing something obvious????

5. Fredric

Fredric Member

When I double click on the .pvs file in my Library folder, it opens the Windows installation assistant. (Note: this file has the Parallels icon)

6. fellow

fellow Junior Member

I should have thought of starting the .pvs file. I just tried it and it appears to be loading correctly in 3094 beta2. OpenBSD and XP Pro are running fine. In the process of updating Tools on XP.

Transporter got about half-way through with my 12+ Gig XP Pro VM after an hour (MBP 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM). The drive filled up so I quit the process. It smartly removed the temporary files or moved them to the trash.

It appears noticeably faster than 1970.

Last update for this post-- Tools appears frozen/crashed and the screen is smaller and black. No key strokes help (Ctrl-Alt-Del). May need to hard reset. Paused and got a blue screen. Crash.

Restarted with small screen. Tools appear installed, but I may try again in case it was partial.

Video now works but first came up very small, like 640x480. Control panel/display allowed a larger setting, then the Parallels "frame" did not adjust as well as usual. Had to jimmy around to get it exactly fitting the XP desktop. Ahh-- Green osx button fits it perfectly... However, it was never an issue before.

One other bug, related to the issue of starting old VMs, is that the properties screen does not stay open when the VM is shut down. I was using 1970 until today, and I understand that this was an interface change, but aren't there a number of options that require the VM to be shut down to change?

I will start another thread on the video/coherence isues.

Again, this is some of the best software development I've ever seen! Excellent!

fellow

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  7. Fredric

Fredric Member

Well, I finally "solved" the problem through trial and error (many). By going to the Parallels folder in the User > Library I found five different folders labeled "winxp". The last folder had a file (the largest of all in size) called "winxp.4.pvs". Double clicking on this launched Parallels, and brought up the exisiting Windows XP virtual machine with all of my software and folders. However, whenever you launch Parallels subsequently, you will be asked to select which VM you want, so remember which one worked! In my case, it was not exactly the same name as my original one, but was number 3 in the series that came up. Harder to describe than to do. I really do like being able to resize the Windows window for my 24" iMac. Haven't figured out "Coherence" yet.
    Hope this is of help to other newbies.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  8. dailo

dailo Member

I can't login to my BootCamp partition, does anyone know how I can delete BootCamp parallels tools another way? It won't let me do it within Parallels!!