Poorly named files in Extensions folder

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Blaster, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster Member

Since kernel extensions interact with the operating system at a low level, they can affect the stability of the system. For this reason, whenever kernel extensions are installed, they should be named so that it is easy to determine who these extensions belong to. But when I installed Parallels Desktop for Mac, I find the following items added to the /System/Library/Extensions folder:

ConnectUSB.kext
    helper.kext
    hypervisor.kext
    vmmain.kext

How are people supposed to know that these files are used by Parallels? Parallels is not the only developer that can use the Extensions folder, yet they are acting as if they own the whole folder and putting a monopoly on common words like "helper". In my opinion, this is irresponsible behavior. Parallels needs to name their files in a way that identifies them as belonging to Parallels. For example, all kernel extensions installed by Parallels should have "Parallels" or "PVS" at the beginning of the file name.

2. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

100% agreed. I would never have guessed that "helper.kext" was related to Parallels. There is still SO much work to be done in the usability department...

3. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

Now that VMWare Fusion Beta is out, look at how they do it - a nice StartupItem that loads all the kexts and such that are needed from an Application Support folder. Nothing needed outside of /Library other than the application itself.

THAT is how it's supposed to be done.

Furthermore, you might want to jump on the "welcome screen" bandwagon quick (as VirtualPC, VMWare, and every other product uses), as you now have competition...