Running Google Earth on XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by The Bolas Heathens, Apr 19, 2006.

1. The Bolas Heathens

The Bolas Heathens Bit poster

I'd love to be able to do this - it's a show stopper to me using Parallels on my Mac.

At the moment when I try it I get a message saying Google Earth could not start in DirectX mode. Is this something that is planned to be included in Parallels?

2. simon

simon Member

Native

Why not run the native google earth for OSX ?

3. The Bolas Heathens

I do, but I need Windows to run a Windows only app which maintains a database of UK geocaches and this app uses a macro to display all geocaches I have not found in Google Earth, meaning I can easily plan a future trip.

This app can obviously only interface with Google Earth running on the same Windows machine.

4. n4khq

n4khq Member

I think Google earth is like a 3d game and not supported by the video driver. This is the only disavantage i have seen in VM but you have bootcamp. IMO VM with VT-X will be the choice of most mac users except the hard core gamers which will probable have both.

5. arfung

arfung Junior Member

You can run google earth on XP. Just hit "No" when it asks you if you want to run in DirectX mode and it will run though the Parallels video driver. Or at least it has on mine since Beta1.

6. Bill McCumber

Bill McCumber Junior Member

I just tried it as well. Works great! :)

A tad bit slow... but certainly much better than having to boot into Boot Camp just for one app ;)

Sweet! This will help me at my office, as well! Thanks for the hint!

7. The Bolas Heathens

Very cool - so it does (once I'd figured out how to get past the logging into Google Earth dialog that was blocking the way).

I'm off to play some more...this is looking very good :)