Gentoo in parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mpar, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mpar

mpar Bit poster

Has anyone succeeded with installing gentoo as a parallels guest OS?

I got a segmentation fault while trying to compile glibc but proceeded anyway.
    Then, during kernel compilation, parallels crashed hard ("send error report" etc.).

Since that crash the disk image is toast. Whenever i try to start the VM using that image it will
    just hang in the "Bios text" and not even boot from CD. Meanwhile the CPU usage goes up to 100% (the fan starts to spin up)...

I created a new image and now it boots from CD again but I don't feel like spending another 3hrs only to have it fail at the same point.

Are the segfaults and hard crash "normal" for the current state of parallels or has anyone ever successfully completed a gentoo install (with all the heavy compiling...)?

2. mlivingstone

mlivingstone Bit poster

I have successfully installed using the Minimal 2006.1 CD using networkes method and the Genkernel & GRUB method. This is on a 2GB 2GHz Mac Pro with a 7300GT video card.

What I have not succeeded (yet) is getting the video modes right. I have xorg, gnome and xscreensaver emerged and can only get it to do vga 320x200 video mode :-(

I initially tried using the non-Genkernel method but got kernel panics so I presume there are certain 2.6.17-r8 kernel .config requirements but the manuals do not say much as to what is required :-(

MarkL

3. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

I haven't attempted a stage1 build. Stage 3 was easy. If it is segfaulting, did you give it a decent swap partition and did you set an appropriate profile/CFLAGS? Probably you were too aggressive on the compiler optimisations. You have to optimise for the "pretend" processor that VT-X makes available to the virtual machine.

4. multigeek

multigeek Bit poster

I did exactly the same with almost the same hardware. First I tried the non-genkernel method too but I got kernel panics. With the genkernel it works fine. Only the resolution of 320x200 is bad. I thought I might have done something wrong during kernel compilation, but now that you report the same resolution issue, I do not think about compiling a new kernel.

Did you find a solution for this resolution problem so far?

MuGe

5. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

You might give Sabayon Linux a try its a Gentoo distro and its an excellant distribution. I love it. Its fully loaded and installs easily runs well.

fyi...
    Peter

6. multigeek

multigeek Bit poster

Gentoo in Parallels

Hi Peter,

thanks for the hint. I downloaded Sabayon and created an ISO. Is there anywhere a HowTo for installing it in Parallels? I suppose that I have to go through all the steps that I went through when I tried to install Gentoo 2006.1 inside Parallels?

All the best ...

MuGe

7. SirRichard

SirRichard Junior Member

I'm running a Gentoo installation under Parallels and the system runs fine. Here is my /etc.make.conf:

Code:
    CFLAGS="-O3 -march=nocona -ftracer -pipe"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

MAKEOPTS="-j2"

LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

USE="mmx nptlonly sse sse2 zlib"

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
    VIDEO_CARDS="parallels"

8. watersb

watersb Bit poster

I had the same problem, I used this command from the console to generate an xorg.conf.new file:

Code:
    # Xorg -configure
    And I was able to use the generated xorg.conf file just fine, at full resolution.