Boot Camp Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Alucard1797, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

Tried the boot.ini and it didn't work - still rebooted itself during startup. Could be because I use FAT32?
    Anyway, decided I'd wasted enough time and reverted to an earlier version of Windows. As I hardly use Windows on this machine going back a couple of weeks was no problem.
    Maybe it's a good idea to do a backup of Windows before installing Parallels for Bootcamp.

2. GJT2004

GJT2004 Bit poster

I also have the same problem, i run NTFS, my Windows installation i on disk B (number 2)

3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Very likely!

ajm

4. j-active

j-active Member

Same here.

Disk 1: OS X
    Disk 2: Windows XP (NTFS) boots fine through boot camp. Parallels Tools for BC is installed. New hardware profile created. Here's my boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=-1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkppvs_.exe /hal=halppvs_.dll

Parallels will let me add a new VM using boot camp as my primary disk.

Hit play to launch the VM and instantly get:
    Boot from hard drive... Error loading operating system_

What's interesting is if I go back to the config screen and change the attachment option to connect to another ide channel then the error is different. It appears to look on the CD, disk, etc. to boot and fails with a different error.

I can boot into boot camp fine. I can also add this boot camp drive as a 2nd disk to another parallels VM profile and access it without any problem. But I need to boot from it!

Good luck || guys getting this resolved and please let me know if I can hack my hardware profile or switch disks around to get this resolved in the short term.

5. Peet

Peet Bit poster

Bumping.

I just ran into this nonsense... "Error loading operating system"

Main OSX drive - dual drive RAID 0 on disks 1 and 2 - macfs
    Windoze bootcamp drive disk 3 - ntfs
    Secondary Mac disk disk 4 - macfs

mac pro, 4GB RAM, 3Ghz

No matter what I do no joy. Tried the 5 in the ini - no go. When I boot in bootcamp - it works fine, albeit now with the stupid menu at boot time.

Oh, one more thing - when I launch bootcamp and hit play, my windows drive dismounts off the desktop - is that normal? It comes back when I quit parallels - so I assume so.

Thanks all!

6. Peet

Peet Bit poster

Beta 2 - same damned thing. No love.

7. rainmanbk

rainmanbk Bit poster

I am also having the "Error loading operating system..." error.

I simply fire up Parallels, select my profile for Boot Camp, and I get that error. Windows boots fine from Boot Camp itself, I just can't get Boot Camp to boot inside Parallels. Also, I have installed another copy of Windows the normal Parallels way, as its own image and that also works without problems. I love this software and I'm happy that there are so many people who want it to be the best that it can be.

8. dechamp

dechamp Bit poster

Fresh install XP Pro on new boot camp partition with apple's drivers. New MBP 17" with 2.33 C2D. Fresh install Parallels 3094 without Parallels Tools installation. System boots XP from boot camp, but from parallels get error:

"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp".

Boot from Boot Camp still works. I was closer with the last build, where the system just sat there trying to boot windows without USB control. At least the last beta saw the drive to boot from...

Waiting for another beta. See you next week.

9. somefool

somefool Bit poster

new beta works for me.

cheers, I can now consider parallels seriously (but please make it easier to get a fresh demo serial to test these new versions - Im not going to by it until I can be sure that 3D works well)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  10. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

sgginc wrote: "I get the message: "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp" immediately after trying to power on VM. Any ideas?"
    ===

I got this message when I used the wrong admin password in OS X. Otherwise, no problems.

11. WizardS

WizardS Bit poster

@Atomic_Fusion: Where did you enter your admin password incorrectly? Whithin Parallels Desktop? This is seems not to be possible as the password dialog prevents you from entering a wrong password by giving you an error message.

I also have the problem "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp".

Any help out there?

At the moment I have no possibility to boot into the VM because I am not at home and have no Windows Disk with me, so I have to use Boot Camp all the time which sucks!

12. uelef

uelef Bit poster

I own a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro. On my MacBook Pro there's no problem to boot XP from my BootCamp XP installation - but on my Mac Pro it does not work. XP on the Mac Pro is located on a second hard drive - I guess that is what is making problems...

I hope Parallels will fix this problem soon so I can also use Parallels on my Mac Pro...

13. Peet

Peet Bit poster

Good call Uelef - I agree, my install is also on an additional hard drive - away from my boot disks.

This must be a point of focus.

P

14. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

WizardS wrote: "Where did you enter your admin password incorrectly?"
    ---

When I press the play button to start up my VM, OS X pops a dialog box twice asking for an admin password. This doesn't apply to you? When I have not entered the correct password both times, I received the message "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp."

When I quit my VM, OS X also pops a dialog box asking me to enter my admin password. This doesn't happen to you?

15. Peet

Peet Bit poster

Beta 3 - NO CHANGE. WTF?!

This time - same crap, but we get a cherry on top in the form of a "DO NOT SHUT THE VM OFF" message overlaid on the POST screen. Which doesn't POST because of "Error loading operating sytem".

C'mon parallels peeps!

16. uelef

uelef Bit poster

Same here with Beta 3 - I'll give it up... I also got problems with my Win XP Activation - I now have to call the M$ service because with the new beta XP wanted a new activation. That was once to often... Well, I will continue with BootCamp and leave Parellels behind me.

17. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member