once and for all...does bluetooth work?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by soulbarn, Dec 18, 2006.

1. soulbarn

soulbarn Bit poster

when I search for Bluetooth, I find differing answers on whether it works in parallels.

does it? how about in the current beta?

I am trying to connect a Nokia e62 phone and am having no luck...

thanks very much!

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Once and for all? Sorry, life isn't like that. Some Bluetooth devices work and some don't (at least according to the reports -- I've yet to try it, due to a lack of Bluetooth devices I want to use). More will probably work as time goes on.

3. soulbarn

soulbarn Bit poster

well, actually, in this case, life does maybe does like that - what I meant was, does bluetooth work in Parallels - not whether all bluetooth devices work in Parallels.

My problem is that I don't even see anything indicating the presnce of bluetooth in my Win XP installation on Parallels. No bluetooth control panel, no bluetooth in the device manager. How do I enable bluetooth in order to see if my device is blessed or cursed?

Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

4. ajay

ajay Hunter

Well, for what it's worth, I use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard on my Mac, which works just fine when I use Parallel's, if that's what you mean.

5. soulbarn

soulbarn Bit poster

thanks for the reply. this is why I was asking for something more definitive - there's all kinds of different info and experiences.. Let me refine my question: is there any circumstance under which Windows XP's standard bluetooth discovery and connection utilities work under Parallels?

thanks...

6. mec31

mec31 Bit poster

Let me second this. I can see how input devices may work, as that is more of a 'system level service' that is more or less piped through from the host. What I'm (and perhaps the OP) is looking for is more the XP Control Panel flavor of bluetooth. In may case, I would like to connect to my phone for the purpose of transferring mp3 files. While I'm neither an expert nor a noobie, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to gain access to the Bluetooth control panel in XP (which doesn't appear--how to get it there?) and how to connect to a particular device for a particular purpose.

7. kgregc

kgregc Member

http://forum.parallels.com/post33558-4.html

No?

8. mschool

mschool Member

Ajay,

Are you using Apple's wireless leyboard and mouse or another vendor's? I hald off purchasing a Bluetooth wireless keyboard as the Apple sales people told me that their product might not work (with Parallels). If it is another product, please let me know. Thanks very much.

9. ajay

ajay Hunter

mschool, I have the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse on my Intel Mac mini. The combination works flawlessly for me. My primary use of a "guest' OS, in this case, Windows, is so that I could run Quicken. The Mac version of Quicken doesn't do it for me.

10. dlhoefer

dlhoefer Bit poster

My problem also, no control panel for bluetooth devises. I just don't understand!! If anyone can help it would be very appreciated.

I'm wanting to use a Holux 236 with MS Streets & Trips.

Dave

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Bluetooth devices that are captured by OSX and routed by Parallels to the guest will work. This includes mouse and keyboard. Other Bluetooth devices may or may not, and there is no guest bluetooth control panel (today).

12. dlhoefer

dlhoefer Bit poster

How does one route the device to Parallels?

Dave