Build 3094 networking

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gasconade, Dec 22, 2006.

1. gasconade

gasconade Bit poster

Macbook Pro, 2gb C2D and Win XP Pro/Parallels. WIN XP Pro and Parallels installed by MacMall. Ths is my first MAC product ever and I'm liking it so far but with build 1970 I couldn't get USB drives to show up in XP VM so downloaded 3094 hoping to fix that problem.

With the XP firewall OFF, I tried the recommended Bridged network setting first and the XP VM couldn't get an IP via DHCP. Then tried the Host network setting and XP got an IP via DHCP but still could not talk to the internet. I didn't get a chance to test the network connection on 1970 before I loaded 3094 because as soon as I saw USB wasn't working on 1970, I went looking for the latest stuff. So I don't really know if this problem is strictly related to 3094 or not.

Not enough time to Ethereal it yet to see if packets were actually getting out of XP and into OS X . Actually, I don't know what Ethereal would show when run in the XP VM. I'll have to test that first I guess.

Anyway, is anyone running this setup (build 3094/WIN XP Pro and having XP get through to the internet??? Is there some config setting I might have missed in Parallels/OS X/ WIN XP????

The only other flakey thing I've seen in 3094 is the video settings in XP won't stay. Each time I boot it wants to go back to 800x600. After changing it, everything is fine. This isn't a big problem though and I'm sure Parallels will get it fixed before it becomes an official release.

Any help on the internet connecting problem would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

2. vrSamurai

vrSamurai Bit poster

Have you tried shared networking?

Harry,

I would try changing your Parallels networking config to "shared networking". I am able to connect to the internet with Build 3094. I use shared networking (recommended in the Parallels documenation.)

Let me know how this goes.

3. gasconade

gasconade Bit poster

Well, ok course I didn't check that. There are only three options and I just checked two of them. Can you say Brain Dead!! :) ?? I thought I read somewhere that Parallels recommended Bridged but I can't find it now.

Yes it works. Thanks for the imput. I would probably have been looking at this forever without your help.

The only problem is (as I understand Shared) I won't be able to host a virtual web page for this virtual network?? With more than one VM, if I have a server on one of them, OS X won't be able to see it if I'm running Shared??

I believe I actually "need" bridged to work or at least I need not to be behind NAT. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll look at this some more.

But, thanks again for your help. I'm liking this mbp more and more.

Harry