VMware Fusion PUBLIC beta Build 36932 info

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rcardona2k, Dec 22, 2006.

1. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

2. skaratso

skaratso Junior Member

Do you think we PARALLELS users care about the vmware beta???

3. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

You should - any competition is likely to make all the virtualization products better.

FWIW Parallels still feels a lot more responsive to me. I've not sat down and compiled hard numbers on the two products yet, but I have a feeling as to which product will be faster ;)

4. Art

Art Junior Member

of course we do... i've bought both Parallels and Crossover, and i was on the VMWare alpha test mailing list even if i had already my Parallels license!

any feature VMware fusion has means that Parallels' team may also be able to do it, soon or later.

I tested Fusion for its USB2 support, because this is the major feature i need. I'll test Parallels' latest beta soon, i hope my device (a Microchip "ICD2" In-Circuit Debugger) will work in Parallels, since it already works in Fusion.

5. alexrodriguez

alexrodriguez Bit poster

Absolutely, competition is good. It keeps all the sides innovating and releasing new products. For now I will stick with Parallels, but if VMWare ends up with a better product I will switch.

6. j-active

j-active Member

7. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

No real reason to change

I welcome VMWare to the Mac platform, all options available are good. I suspect VMWare will appeal more to corporate environments with all those packages and bundled goodies they have (pre-made apps for Linux and others) but for the low price and good features, Parallels will be best for the at home user. My 2 cents.

8. rangr

rangr Member

anyone come across video processor performance data? all that keeps parallels being my perfect solution is native video performance...

9. mipmip

mipmip Bit poster

Welcome VMWare

I bought Parallels. But as long as I get ignored as Linux user I'm not loyal to Parallels.

10. mike3k

mike3k Member

VMWare has one big advantage over Parallels, as far as I'm concerned: much better Linux support. It has VMWare tools for Linux which provide mouse synchronization, which Parallels still lacks. It also specifically supports Ubuntu as an option.

11. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

If you count me as an early PAID owner of Parallels, yes. BTW, I'm running Build 3094 of Parallels quite happily.

12. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

benchmarks are worthless at this point - beta release of VMWare Fusion is a debug build, and performance will be nowhere near that of the final production release.

re: mike3k "It also specifically supports Ubuntu as an option" - There's nothing magical about Ubuntu, it's just another distribution running the Linux kernel. This is an odd statement which I keep seeing on this board, and is either a lack of understanding of the Linux marketplace or a overstatement of the importance of VM vendor support for specific distributions. *every* linux distribution which I have installed on parallels (and vmware, for that matter) has worked flawlessly, at least for my needs (application development, native build support, deployment and regression testing). That said, mouse synchronization in linux hosts would be REALLY nice...

The fusion beta has some exciting features not yet in Parallels, namely in-vm SMP support and the Integrated Virtual Debugger (deploy, run, and debug programs in a VM directly from eclipse). Nice, yes; critical, no.

Parallels is really targeted at a different market segment than the VMWare stack; Parallels fits nicely in the home/casual space, where VMWare's product offerings are targeted more towards corporate users, development shops, and ISP/ISVs. VMWare Fusion's pricing will most likely reflect this different target market, probably falling in around $200.00 US (or roughly that of the Windows version). Parallels desktop is ~$80 US, with deep discounts available at retail (I believe I picked my copy up for less than $40US after rebate).

My 2 cents', anyhow...

13. mcg

mcg Hunter

Thanks for this, rcardona2k. I'm happy to have supported the development of Parallels with a paid license---just as I'm happy to have supported Crossover Office with the same. If VMWare turns out to have valuable advantages for me, I might get that, too. But at this point, I'm quite happy with Parallels and Crossover and see no need for the third.

If I were a heavy Linux VM user I'd probably share the frustration people have. But what I've done, and what I recommend other people consider, is to install your Linux distros as application servers with a text-based console---then display all your apps on the Mac desktop using X11 piped over a host-only network. It's effectively equivalent to Coherence mode. YMMV, but for my use it's entirely sufficient, and I do not miss mouse synchronization.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  14. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

You're welcome. Now that VMware Fusion is public, I'm glad to see (and participate) with a wide audience "kicking the tires", comparing them, etc. It certainly has been a year of lot of virtualization gifts, right up to the crescendo of this weekend! Enjoy

15. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I have several Linux servers that I just leave running for various purposes. But it's not obvious to me why I should care about running Linux on a Macintosh, given that BSD is already available.