Linux and Solaris No backslash or pipes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mkpro17, Apr 17, 2006.

1. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

Has anyone found a solution for the pipes and backslash not working in PW for mac Beta 3 with Guest OS Linux or Solaris?

I get < and > instead of \ and |

This makes it impossible for me to login with my domain account in linux

domain\username

A very impossible feat at the moment.

Maybe a simple key mapping that could be done on the end user level using emacs on some config file?

Just wondering if I should spend the time to research the key mapping technique, or if someone has already been through the issue.

2. albertus

albertus Bit poster

3. albertus

albertus Bit poster

It probably works only when running X Window.

4. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

The xmodmap workaround works in Debian (Sarge) and Fedora Core 4.

5. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

Sweeeeeet!!!!!

6. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

Arggg

Actually that only works for the session after I am logged in. I need it to tapply to the login screen. Anyone have an idea on how to add this somewhere so it will load during start-up?

7. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Are you using bash as your shell? If so you can modify .bashrc by adding the xmodmap line at the end of the file.

If you're using csh or tcsh you can modify another file but it's been some time since I used anything other than bash ... but I think it's .profile.

8. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

No Luck yet

.bashrc
    xinitrc

Neither have worked, They both load after login.

I have added
    keycode 94 = backslash bar
    to /etc/X11/Xmodmap

then added
    xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap
    to xinitrc, and .bashrc

No luck yet, However during a terminal session "xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap" works.

Still none of this helps me, I need to be able to use \ at the login screen for Centos (aka Red Hat / Fedora Core)

So, Once Again, Anyone know how to enable the \ so I can us it at the login screen?

9. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Adding: xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = backslash bar" to .bashrc works for me.

Edit:
    Ah, sorry, I just realised what you are saying. I can't think of any way of doing this before logging in. I'll think about it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  10. burgeke

burgeke Member

Using GDM I assume for the login manager? I ran into this problem some time ago but can't recall the exact solution. The problem, which of course you realized, is that Xmodmap is read after the login process.

I found this article, and if I remember right this is what I did to fix up my Thinkpad years ago....

http://www.joshstaiger.org/archives/2005/04/fixing_the_righ.html

Good luck w/it

11. jaysoffian

jaysoffian Bit poster

For Red Hat flavors, you can put the needed entry in /etc/X11/Xmodmap

For a console fix, see the aforementioned thread. I posted there about using loadkeys.

j.

12. brettw

brettw Member

From what I can see there are serious timing issues in the VM the least amongst them the keyboard scan rate ... all associated with the clocking which manifests itself in much worse ways from what I've seen. If it were a simple keycode mapping issue they would've fixed it in Beta 3 I'd think. But I bet it goes much deeper than that therefore you'll likely have to wait until the next next beta etc. to see this go away ...

In the meantime there's lots of progress on the booting linux and solaris as a primary real OS so hopefully I'll not be looking at a VM for my application soon.

It would be cool if they get it all working and stable though ....

13. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

Symbols file?

Another possible solution

In the symbols file,

Which I found in directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/ (because I use the US Layout I looked at the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/[us) I found a key named <LSGT> which had a value of (less, greater) The only key on the board that had that value. In theory if this is the symbol file being used, and you change it to (backslash, bar) this should work. Although I have not yet made it work, I figure put the idea out there and maybe someone with some free time can beat me to it, then post some details.

14. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

Red Hat, Fedora, Centos

In Red Hat, Fedora, Centos. Where does GNOME load it's keymap from. I have modified every file I thought was possible, no workie.

15. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Problem with "|" key is fixed now - fix will be in the next public build.

16. johann

johann Bit poster

I

I am running beta4 and still don't see this problem resovled? Any Ideas?

17. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Unfortunately, this was fixed after beta4 - this fix is still not publically available :(

18. mkpro17

mkpro17 Junior Member

So So happy.

I can not tell you how happy I am to have this fix. Finally I can log into my mixed network environment.

So So Cool.

This is almost as kool as when they came out with broadcom support for ppc arch linux.