"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Gary King, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Gary King

Gary King Member

I installed a new partition of Windows XP, and after the installation was complete, I didn't install anything else in Windows and I booted into Mac OS X right away, started up Parallels, changed the HD to the Boot Camp partition, and then I receive the error message:

Why do I get this? The drive is NTFS, there is no Parallels Tools in it, etc.
    Also, the installation of this copy of Windows did not require a serial key; could that be the reason?

Thanks in advance!

2. dotmb

dotmb Bit poster

Question

I have a question.
    My related person says similer issue.
    And his environment has more than two partition in the HDD.
    It means the HDD has other than one partition for bootcamp and one partition for mac os x.
    Is your situation similer?

3. Gary King

Gary King Member

No. I only have the Mac OS X partition and one Windows partition.

4. Roner

Roner Junior Member

You should have browsed the forum; I opened a thread about exactly the same issue. It seems that in build 3094 the Parallels team created a workaround for the multiple activation issue, which makes booting Parallels from BootCamp impossible for people with volume license keys. The only difference between your setup and mine is that I am using FAT32. Build 3036 appears to have worked for VLKs using NTFS.

5. jse75

jse75 Bit poster

same problem here

using a volume license install of XP Pro SP2. (I posted the details of my configuration previously). It seems the unifying factor is the volume license stuff.

Any workaround would be great. I'd love to be able to switch back and forth between Parallels when I don't need the extra umph and Boot Camp when I want games or whatever and direct access to the graphics card (and the blackberry which for now does not seem to work with parallels.)

jason