Ubuntu Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jvicinanza, Dec 13, 2006.

1. jvicinanza

jvicinanza Bit poster

Folks, Ive recently created a new VM for Ubuntu v6.10. I am running the OS from an ISO file rather than installing it. Its working fine, I can use the browser to access the web, the sound card is working. Very cool and very easy to get going.

The only problem I have concerns the screen resolution.

Is there anyway I can change the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to the native screen resolution of my MacBook pro of 1440 x 900?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

Jason

2. coolmemin

coolmemin Junior Member

I am having the same problem. Anyone?

3. yesno

yesno Bit poster

I fixed that little problem but for the life of me I don't remember how. There's an xorg configuration utility, text mode. Run that. Use defaults. It should do it.

4. Hagbard

Hagbard Member

If you want to get 1440x900 in Linux, you need to use build 3036 or 1970. The latest beta 2 build breaks linux screen resolution configuration. In 3036 or 1970, start up a terminal and then type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

After you enter your password, choose Vesa video and the resolution you want. (The spacebar selects with * in the blank space). Then just reboot your system and once the bootup is over, you should have fullscreen graphics.

5. macguy

macguy Member

I did this and it works fine in Build 3106. However, it is a little tricky if you aren't used to the interface. You hit the space bar to toggle a specific resolution on and off.

Also, under Parallels at least, the system always defaults to the maximum resolution you set, so if you check both 1280 x 1024 and 1280 x 960, whenever you boot it will go to 1280 x 1024.

I found that if I plan to run ubuntu in a 1280 x 1024 monitor, setting the ubuntu resolution to 1280 x 960 is about perfect.

6. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Member

Are any of you able to cycle through resolutions without restarting the X server via CTRL-ALT-+ and CTRL-ALT-- or xvidtune?