Build 3094 - Beta 2 - Virtual Hard Drive expanded 1,5 GB

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Menace, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Build 3094 - Beta 2 - Paralles folder expanded 1,5 GB

I just recognized that my Parallels expanded for about 1,5 GB although I didn`t add data except the new Parallels tools.

After looking inside the Parallels folder I found a new created file called "xxx.mem" which is 1.46 GB big. Is this new file (Parallels VM Memory Dump) really important? - I mean it takes a lot of space on my internal hard drive.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  2. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

Menace... that file shouldnt be around anymore when the VM is shut down as far as I can tell. It might still be during a system suspend (I'm not sure about that,) but its a pretty common thing when dealing with operating systems.

I'm willing to bet that they're starting to use this memory dump to make certain aspects faster, or perhaps more memory efficient (hard disk paging to save space in physical memory? Maybe they're attempting to make VM's more useful for people with lower physical memory installed.) If this is going to be the future case, I feel this should be a user-configurable item.

3. rbirkby

rbirkby Bit poster

But it's always a 1.46Gb file. I have 2Gb of real RAM of which 700Mb is allocated to the virtual machine. But I have a small harddisk, so I need all the disk space I can get. 1.46 significantly eats into my free diskspace, quite often exhausting all of it.

4. skaratso

skaratso Junior Member

Well, I don't know how to get rid of that big file, but you shouldn't be running with less than 10% of your total disk space free. OS X is always writing to the drive and when space gets low, files can get corrupted.

The long term solution is to get a bigger hard drive.