Why Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by prdavis48, Dec 25, 2006.

1. prdavis48

prdavis48 Bit poster

I'm a mere embryo at this whole vm thing so forgive my ignorance. What advantage other than possible conservation of space is it to boot into boot camp? Isn't it still just a vm? I have beta2 that works well for me and I keep reading about everyone's horror stories trying to boot into Bootcamp and I'm missing the point. What is the advantage?

2. zoc

zoc Bit poster

Bootcamp is NOT a VM.

Bootcamp is only a partitionning software and a set of win32 drivers for the mac hardware. You can install windows XP on an intel mac without using bootcamp at all (using diskutil to resize the partitions).

3. prdavis48

prdavis48 Bit poster

OK, so if you access BC thru parallels isn't it still running as a VM or are you merely doing away with the restart -select and booting natively with all of the advantages that go along with that? Thanks again for your patience with my lack of knowledge.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

The only advantages to running a VM from the bootcamp partition are the saving of the space required for two installations of XP (assuming you want to spend some of your time in XP with full hardware access (bootcamp) and some running a VM with OSX available with a click), and the convenience of having to install Windows applications only once to gain access to them in both environments.

Running a VM from the bootcamp partition is still running in a VM. Running bootcamp without Parallels is direct access to the hardware.

Does that help?

5. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

It's important to define what "direct access" implies for folks.

Right now, Parallels cannot do 3D graphics acceleration. Boot Camp can. So, if you want to run your favorite Windows 3D game, you need to boot into Windows via Boot Camp.

Also, certain devices, such as FireWire and isosyncronous USB 2.0 devices will not work in Windows currently unless you are using Boot Camp.

6. prdavis48

prdavis48 Bit poster

Thanks for your explanation. Other than the space issue, which isn't really an issue for me, I'm pretty good with running parallels and not using it to boot into BC. I don't do games, just Powerpoint and Word stuff and I move them over to Apple KN. For the ease of drag and drop, I use Parallels.

7. BBH

BBH Junior Member

Can I run Windows Flight Simulator 2000 in Parallels? Loading it is such a pain (apparently a Microsoft requirement...) I don't want to simpy try it and see for myself...I'd hope someone could save me the trouble and let me know from their experience.