Icons for windows apps...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by johnoyler, Dec 26, 2006.

1. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

A few reboots later, icons that I've changed manually seem to be sticking... I had assumed that they'd only change to the new ones after I've started them up, but not the case, as soon as my dock comes up when I log in, I see them.

For anyone that's interested in seeing something other than the ugly 32x32 windows icons, just open up Terminal, go to

~/Library/Parallels/[VM name]/Windows Applications/[Application].app/Contents/Resources

And run "open WinAppHelper.icns".

If you have the Xcode stuff installed, Icon Composer should open up. It will show the crummy windows icon... click on that so that it highlights, and paste in a 128x128 PNG or TIFF. File/save, and a reboot (or three) later, it should show up in your dock, and when alt-tabbing through apps.

To get you started, here's something suitable for IE6:
    http://www.xiaprojects.com/www/prodotti/kxdocker/xmls/icons/iexplorer.png

Has anyone found one for IE7? I made mine with Gimp, but I can't get rid of the fringe from the white background, no matter how hard I try.

I'd be interested in learning where some other 128x128 windows icons could be found.

Also, anyone know how to keep the VM icons from showing in the dock now? With the application icons there, I don't really need the parallels icons anymore.

2. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

You dont need to reboot, you need finder to restart to reflect the changes...
    You can use the force quit and relaunch finder from the Apple menu to do this. Once you restart finder the .app icon should update and display correctly the next time it is run!

3. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

I know I did several reboots, and it didn't change. And then one reboot later, it did. So no clue. But at least it eventually changed...