parallels only stops to the desktop

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lorchj, Dec 25, 2006.

1. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

I just installed Beta 2 build 3094. Previously, when i stopped Windows XP, Parallels would stop at the configuration screen. No it no longer stops there but rather at the Mac desktop. Is there a way to have Parallels stop at the configuration screen. Thanks

2. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

parallels only stops at Mac desktop

I just installed Beta 2 build 3094. Previously, when i stopped Windows XP, Parallels would stop at the configuration screen. No it no longer stops there but rather at the Mac desktop. Is there a way to have Parallels stop at the configuration screen. Thanks

3. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Check in the "Booting" tab of the VM "Options" and make sure that "Exit Application on VM Shutdown" is not checked

4. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

how to find VM Options

Thansk for the reply. But how does one get to the VM Options tab if the application doesn't stop at the configuraion editor after the virtual machine halts. Is there another way to the VM options tab?

5. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

hey lorchj, that's a very good question. I'm sure there is a better answer than the one I am about to give you, which is a bit of a hack, but should work just fine:

When your VM is not running, open the .pvs file with your favorite text editor and change the line that says "AutoShutdown = 1" so that it says "AutoShutdown = 0"
    Then save and close the .pvs file (from within your text editor) and it should behave the way you want the next time you load and run that VM

6. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

autoshutdown was set to 0

Hi, Autoshutdown was set to 0. I then tried to set it to 1 but the results were the same. Here are the rest f the system settings.
    [System]
    Boot = c
    Parallels VM Name = Microsoft Windows XP
    VM Id = {0c9e6412-f300-4202-9df2-43f9bbe0d5fe}
    VM Description =
    OS Type = 135
    Memory = 512
    Video Memory = 16
    Memory block size = 10
    Acceleration level = 2
    Enable write-back disk cache = 1
    VT-x support = 1
    Start auto = 0
    AutoShutdown = 0
    Start full screen = 0
    Start dashmode = 0
    Start full screen warning = 1
    PC Speaker enable = 1
    Multi frame = -1
    [Shared folders]
    Shared folders enabled = 1
    Shared folders count = 1
    Folder0 enabled = 1
    Folder0 readonly = 0
    Folder0 name = XP_Shared
    Folder0 path = /Users/jal/Desktop/XP_Shared
    Folder0 descr =

Thanks again

7. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Hmm, I am sorry to say that I don't have any more suggestions for you regarding this.

If auto shutdown is set to zero but you are still losing the VM configuration window after shutdown, I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing that.

Is the actual Parallels application exiting? Or is the VM window simply closing itself leaving the Parallels app active?

8. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

Parallels only stops at Mac desktop

The actual Parallels applications is exiting. To be sure i checked the Activity Monitor and saw no trace of anything to do with Parallels. Thanks again.

9. Dezro

Dezro Bit poster

If you open the VM directly from Finder it'll always auto-start on open and auto-quit on shutdown. If you open Parallels and select the VM there it shouldn't do either, unless you told it to.

10. jkt

jkt Bit poster

The way I got around the problem was to temporarily remove the .pvs file to the desktop. When you then boot Parallels it says it can't find the apppropriate files and the Parallels boot screen stays open so you can uncheck the "Exit application.." box. Quit Parallels, return .pvs file to its place and then reopen.

11. lorchj

lorchj Bit poster

Parallels only stops at Mac desktop

Moving the .pvs was a great idea. I found however that all th flags were already unchecked. So i am really lost now. Thanks for your help.

12. eintausendstel

eintausendstel Bit poster

... same problem here ... :(

I've deleted all files (visible and invisible) and all from the VM to install all new ... but the same problem in the new VM too.

The box to leave the application after shutdown the VM is unchecked and it works for the first time.
    but then it close again. If I try to remove that .pvs file to desktop, I can open the preferences but not possible to change that shutdown option ... :(