Whats the purpose of the "Start Menu" in the PW icon?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by PubGuy, Dec 22, 2006.

1. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

OK. There is a new item in the Parallels icon menu above "Favorites" called "Start Menu". However, it doesn't appear to do anything. Anyone know what this is suppose to do?

:confused:

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Bump ... anyone know ???

3. stokkes

stokkes Member

If you have parallels in Coherence mode and choose to hide the Windows Start bar, this "Start menu" option when you right click on the Parallels icon in the dock will show the Start menu so you can navigate through your programs on your Windows installation.

To test it, go into coherence mode, hit Command-T, choose the Coherence tab and uncheck "Show" under Windows Task Bar.

the Start Menu option should now work.

4. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

That was what I assumed it should have done (and i expected it to do). However, it doesn't do anything at all. Any idea on how to get it operational?

5. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Does the START MENU in the Parallels dock icon work for anyone? If so, what did you do to make it work? :(

6. neosublime

neosublime Member

Only works if you never remapped your command key in windows. I use the "option"/"Windows" key for the "Windows" key in my VM. If you are using a Windows keyboard, it makes more sense to use the "Alt" key as the command key in OS X, and the "Windows" key in Windows.

7. rtraill

rtraill Bit poster

What do you mean by "remapped your command key in windows". When I am in the windows desktop everytime I hit the command key the start menu appears or dissapears. I hate this as it means when "command-tab" between applications the start menu appears/dissapears.

Where does one "remap the command key" exactly? What is the "windows" key?