HOWTO: repair "broken" bootcamp xp installation after playing with 3094

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by triplex, Dec 28, 2006.

1. triplex

triplex Junior Member

1. Find halopvs_.dll and ntkopvs_.exe in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder of bootcamp installation and rename them to halmacpi.dll and ntkrnlmp.exe
    2. Open boot.ini, find smth like:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    and add /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll, so it looks like this:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll

Thats all
    reboot to windows :)

2. brokenbottle

brokenbottle Bit poster

Which type of broken does this take care of? The USB keyboard / mouse issue when you boot into native bootcamp?

3. triplex

triplex Junior Member

yes,this too

4. brokenbottle

brokenbottle Bit poster

I'm not sure how to apply your instructions to my boot.ini:

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkppvs_.exe /hal=halppvs_.dll /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll

I'm not sure why I have 2 "parallels configuration" options in there, probably from all the fiddling I've been doing to get it working properly again. FYI, it runs fine under parallels, it's just the bootcamp option that's giving me grief right now.

5. triplex

triplex Junior Member

brokenbottle
    set timeout=30 and try to boot with second ("Micro soft Windows XP Professional")

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  6. MarcSchonbrun

MarcSchonbrun Bit poster

Triplex,

I did all that you said to do, and I still have no mouse and keyboard support in bootcamp.

Can you post the driections in full, one more time, step by step for us, including a paste of your complete boot.ini?

You're the only one around here who has any idea how to fix this!!! If you can help, that would be great!

Marc

7. triplex

triplex Junior Member

MarcSchonbrun
    post your boot.ini plz

8. MarcSchonbrun

MarcSchonbrun Bit poster

Kinda impossible right now... I'm away with family, using their XP computer on dial up. My mac has no modem, so I'd have to do a line for line type...

I changed my 2nd entry in the boot.ini to take out the old files and renamed them as you said.

If you can post yours, I can do a line by line verify.

I'll be home Sat night and will have broadband access again.

Thanks for your patience.

9. triplex

triplex Junior Member

mine looks like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect

do you have MULTIBOOT config in boot.ini as brokenbottle has? or just one as me?

10. dcunia

dcunia Junior Member

triplex,

my boot.ini looks the same as brokenbottles. It is nothing like yours. Did you originally start with what we have (which includes the Parallels lines) and then make the change from within Parallels? I am concerned that if I change the boot.ini from within the Parallels session so that the Parallels lines are gone, that I won't be able to boot the bootcamp partition in in Parallels either.

Thanks!

11. MarcSchonbrun

MarcSchonbrun Bit poster

mines multi boot.

I haveL

Parallels
    XP
    Parallels

Like the rest.

I still need to get into XP via Parallels! Right now, it's the only way to get to my data AND to edit the boot.ini file.

Unfortunatley, right now in the mac, you can't edit anything on the boot camp partition.

Also, how come your boot.ini doesn't have the tweaks you posted earlier with the additional .exe and .dll?

Thanks,

Marc

12. moox

moox Bit poster

referring to the boot.ini, mine did look like most of the postes before said.

Parallels
    Windows
    Parallels

all of them with additional "/hal=" and "/kernel=" options sometimes even twice per entry.

i modified the system files so as that they looked like the ones triplex posted and changed the boot.ini entries acordingly. booted in Windows natively and still had neither mouse nor keyboard...:confused:

13. triplex

triplex Junior Member

ok,here is my story:

I am on macbook pro 17" core duo, fat32.
    I have tried to install "Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe" (for bootcamp) when 3036 has been released with no luck-installer just finished with no folders/uninstall info created. This was because of my empty "driver cache" folder. Thats why i had no possibility to uninstall them before upgrading to 3094.
    No 3036 nor 3094 never "starts" bootcamp vm, gaving me errors.

If you have several boot options in boot.ini try to set timeout=30 (to have enough time to choose between) and try them all before modifying anything

14. MarcSchonbrun

MarcSchonbrun Bit poster

You have a different issue than we do.

We all had succesfull Boot Camp tool installs and forgot on uninstall them.

I have written support and hopefully they have some sort of an answer.

Thanks for your time, though!!

M

15. triplex

triplex Junior Member

MarcSchonbrun
    No.
    I had the same - long boot, no video driver, no keyboard, no mouse.
    I think "Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe" has been installed though. Incomplete.

16. triplex

triplex Junior Member

I suppose we all need an utilitiy able to get rid of traces left by "Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe" and Parallels Desktop betas in our bootcamp installation.
    Too much people with the same problem.

Should we make a topic asking Parallels about it?

17. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Thanks for trying to help, but how can I even attempt any of this if neither Boot Camp nor Parallels will boot? Access to the Boot Camp partition from within Mac OS X/the Finder is read-only.

Parallels is obviously not going to give all their customers new licenses for Windows XP, but considering how many activation problems they have caused, it almost seems like this would be the only fair thing to do.

I do think that Microsoft's "activation" scheme is an outrageous invasion of privacy, but Parallels can't exactly use that as a defense, since they require activation too.

18. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Nor should they!
    It's Beta - in other words Use It At YOUR Own Risk!

You can reactivate XP an infinite number of times. It only requires a phone call and a request.
    I've called MS over 10 times on the same day and never a question or problem.
    OH, sorry they did ask one question "How many machines is this copy of XP installed on!"

ajm

19. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

"Use at your own risk" doesn't mean the same thing a "We know for a fact that this poses a significant danger to your system."

At this point, Parallels has fried itself and Boot Camp... before we go off on a political debate, does anyone have a suggestion for how to fix my computer?

20. MysticalOS

MysticalOS Junior Member

If you ask me, Copy documents from boot camp drive while in mac os x you wanna keep, and use boot camp assistant to start again...it doesn't take that long to redo windows as long as you save key settings like IE bookmarks, documents, export settings from firewall to import again etc...I usually do this every time apple releases a new boot camp anyway since their driver installer always screws up when upgrading over a previous one.