Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3106 Beta 3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

So far so good. No major problems. Only thing is that CPU usage when idle is still around 30 on both cores. This is on MBP 17" 2G RAM, 640 for Windows XP and 768 for Parallels

2. phubbard

phubbard Bit poster

having to reactivate Windows XP to log in

I just installed the latest beta and created a bootcamp vm.it starts up fine and then displays a message that Parallels is updating and not to use the guest OS or quit the machine.Then I'm asked to reactivate Windows and when I do it says my lisence code has been actived too many times.

Any solution? do I have to call Microsoft every time I create new vm with my XP disks?

Thanks

3. djchem

djchem Bit poster

Ubuntu resolution

Looks like this has sorted the resolution problems out. I can now get full screen at 1280x800 on my Macbook. Rest looks good but I would still love some linux tools. Keep up the good work.:)

4. timon

timon Member

I got the same thing when starting a standard VM. I removed the tools and rebooted then reloaded the tools.

I did the same thing with a BootCamp partition. During booting it gave the force installation message but when I logged in it said the tools were not loaded. I told it to load the tools and everything was fine.

5. verloren

verloren Bit poster

6. n9yty

n9yty Member

I'd like to see that clarified... Does it TRULY mean what it says, activate in Parallels once and work in both, or do you have to activate it in BootCamp once, then activate in Parallels, meaning TWO activations? In other words, can I take a fresh install of Windows, throw it on a BootCamp created partition, then bring it up under Parallels, activate, and have it work without problems in both environments?

7. riccto

riccto Bit poster

8. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Why so many dock icons with Win VMs ???

This new build adds a dock icon for every running Window app??? Is this the way its supposed to be? Why? Please change it back, its just cluttering up my dock.

is this intended behavior?

Cheers,
    peter

9. Little Neddy

Little Neddy Bit poster

Coherence a problem...again

I have updated to 3106; again coherence has disappeared. Any suggestions?

10. AlanH

AlanH Pro

You can turn it off in Parallels Preferences/Appearance - "Show Applications in Dock"

11. jim22

jim22 Bit poster

It's part of Coherence mode, turn it off if you'd like

I have found it very helpful to go through all the settings and prefs after each new release to find new features and options. For instance you can turn the Start Menu on and off, turn the doc icons on and off etc, look through your prefs and play with the settings, read/search the help files. Check out "Customize" in the "View" menu and "Preferences" under the main "Parallels Desktop" menu. Did you know you can access the start menu for the Mac doc by right clicking (or control) the Parallels icon?

12. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

My mistake! I've never seen this behavior before in previous builds, so it must now be enabled by default and I'd never seen this.

Thanks,
    peter

13. purephase

purephase Junior Member

Any chance that support will be added for Vista in Bootcamp? Option is greyed out. Tried selecting XP (which enabled the Boot camp option) but it will not boot.

14. Emoye

Emoye Bit poster

Parallels installing tools

I keep getting the same thing. I hope this will be fixed soon. I am using bootcamp on a fat 32.

I notice that if with in bootcamp on fat 32 and you do a restart from the start menu it does not show this warning on happens on cold boot.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  15. 9192

9192 Bit poster

FAT32 support?

Is the new version can see FAT32 harddrive from Bootcamp?

I want to keep XP on Bootcamp as FAT32 so I can reboot it for playing games. But for minor works tht need Windows applications I would love to use Parallel.

Can I mount XP on FAT32 Bootcamp into new parallel now? I know that the latest version need NTFS to do so.

Thanks 9192

16. Emoye

Emoye Bit poster

Slow Start

I have not been about to figger this out when run vm windows xp and just do a apple-Q to quit it quits very fast. But some times it takes a long time icon in dock keeps turning over and over. If this happens slow quit it takes a long time next time I start it up icon turning over and over and over.

Does any one know why this is happen?

17. ipstacks

ipstacks Junior Member

WOW = Ubuntu runs like it is a video being fast forwarded

I don't know why but Ubuntu Edgy is much faster now. The screen resolution from the last beta is fixed (24 bit screen resolution) and the little bit I tested is very fast. I am even getting a lower score in the Gnometris game because it seems like it is in fast forward as well. Even the taskbar system monitor applet seems like it is on speed. I don't use Windows so I don't know of any problems or benefits with that OS, but Edgy is performing very well. booting and shutdown seem faster too.
    MacBook C2D 2.0 (white) 1.5gig ram. Great job to the Parallels team. I have VMWare and Parallels on this MacBook and I thought VMWare had the edge until I installed beta3.

Anyway now I want to go compile a kernel and see how that does . . .

18. ipstacks

ipstacks Junior Member

Because it is suspending the virtual OS, which means it is writing the state of RAM to the disk. You can verify this when you start the virtual OS again and it comes right back to the place you were when you quit. Not like a reboot where you are just at your desktop. I think I remember the window "flying away" like getting small and fading around a curve the last time I did it. If you actually power of the VM then it doesn't fly away like that . . .

19. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

I have a "borrowed" version of XP Pro that has unlimited activation so after it does it once it never asks me again. At this point I dont ever use boot camp reason being is if I ever get a virus or something happens to windows I have a back up and up-to-date copy on my external drive so I dont have to worry about anything good job Parallels team keep up the good work. Fusion has got nothing on you guys

20. josiah

josiah Bit poster

It's suspending the state of your OS running within Parallels - freezing it as it is when you closed to be opened exactly as-is next time you start up the virtual machine.

Hope this helps.