Windows XP startup very slow

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dave123, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dave123

dave123 Bit poster

I'm a new Parallels user. I just installed the trial on my IMac I was able to install Winodws XP using the wizard but whenever i start Windows it takes anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes to actually get to the login screen. I'm not sure what I've don wrong. I've tried another XP install but hte same thing happens. I am missing something or doin something wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave123

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

I think you problem because of VM memory misconfiguration:
    Please try to do this:
    Launch Parallels Desktop.
    Click on the "Parallels Desktop" menu on Mac menubar, select "Preferences".
    Open "Memory" section and make sure that "Reserved Memory Limit" is set to maximum value, this setting indicates the maximum ammount of RAM that VM may take from the host system. Hit "OK" to close "Preferences" window.
    Click on the "Memory" link in the main Parallels Desktop for Mac configuration window
    Make sure that "Memory Size" setting doesn't exceed "Reserved memory limit", it's better to keep "Memory Size" ammount at the recommended value.
    Hit "OK" to close "Configuration Editor"
    The other possible reason for VM low performance is some resident software running in guest OS (particular anti-virus programs for example).

3. dave123

dave123 Bit poster

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I checked the memory settings as you suggested but they were ok. I'll keep researching. I'm a new IMac user (normally I use Windows) and this Parrallels software looks ike it wuld be great. I'v e asked the same question of Parallels support but have not heard from them yet.
    Thanks again for the help.

Dave123

4. pan

pan Junior Member

slow start up

I also am a new Mac user. Unlike you, my experience with Windows start up is that its surprisingly fast. I had expected a much slower start up. It consistently starts up as if I had just re-installed Windows XP on PC. Shut down is slow but no slower than any of my XP machines. Admittedly I have a fast Mac Pro with with 6GB of memory. I hope you solve this memory issue. Please let us know of your success.

5. rich.mcdonough

rich.mcdonough Bit poster

Networking?

Out of curiosity, if you boot the machine with the virtual network disconnected does your system boot faster?

6. dave123

dave123 Bit poster

Hi,

I upgraded to the latest beta and now Windows XP starts up normally. I'm still not sure what was wrong in the first place.

Thanks

7. dave123

dave123 Bit poster

Hi,
    No it did not make a difference but then I upgraded to the latest beta and that seems to have solved the problem

Thanks