Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3106 Beta 3 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 29, 2006.

1. ipstacks

ipstacks Junior Member

Bcause . . .

Because you suspended the OS and didn't shut it down prolly . . . the next time you start the VM you should be exactly where you where when you suspended it, unlike a reboot where you will just be at the desktop. I could be wrong?!

2. josiah

josiah Bit poster

Haha, so we've now answered the question three times between the two of us. :)

-josiah

3. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Front Page rendering still broken

I'm glad that this problem is fixed in beta 3, but the problem I have reported within thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread5898.html and twice from with in the program where in editable forms in FrontPage are not rendered as the should be, and are, on a "real" windows PC still exists in this beta.

4. darkwurm

darkwurm Bit poster

Linux still seems to have display issues at least for me. 2.6.19.1 kernel, cli is fine on boot however once in to xorg and back out cli intermittently has display issues. (will post screeny next time I catch it). This happened on all of the 3xxx betas for me thus far. There is also some question as to why the native 1440x900 MacBook Pro res is still nonfunctional.

Performance seems to have downgraded from what I was getting in 1970 or at least seems to be more sluggish.

As for bootcamp with winXP pro, I have been unable to get any of the betas to even boot the partition, however upon entering native windowsXP, it tells me there are some tools installed that had problems, however there is no removal option. The partition is formatted FAT32 for file access purposes, AFAIK that was an allowable option.

I like where the project is going, all the new features, but for now back to 1970 for me as I prefer the performance in that version.

MBP 2.33 CoreDuo 2gig Ram 120g HD 10g BC Partition

(this MBP is less than a month old, might be related to newer hardware config or something)

Partition table.

/dev/disk0s2 on / (local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (local)
    fdesc on /dev (union)
    <volfs> on /.vol
    automount -nsl [198] on /Network (automounted)
    automount -fstab [203] on /automount/Servers (automounted)
    automount -static [203] on /automount/static (automounted)
    /dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/WINDOWS HD (local)

5. ipstacks

ipstacks Junior Member

Second time Edgy is running at "normal" speed

Okay, after shutting down and starting it again it seems to be running as I would expect. I don't know what made it go so fast the first time?! Anyway this isn't a complaint at all. I haven't jumped into the deep end testing it but what I have tested works great. I am thinking I will remove VMWare at this rate.

6. Little Neddy

Little Neddy Bit poster

More grief:networking, add/remove programmes

As well as not having coherence, I also cannot use any networking other than bridged networking and when I go to add/remove programmes 90% of the "programmes" I have are black vertical bars!! Curiouser and curiouser.....

7. pgolden

pgolden Bit poster

Why is my Windows XP window so small?

Just updated to the new Beta from 1970 and it seems to work well, except for one problem. The XP "desktop" now seems to be surrounded by about an inch wide black border. It's like watching a non HD program on an HD channel. It's annoying because I'm running this on a MacBook with a 13" screen already, so I don't need the window to be even smaller.

I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I tried making various changes and couldn't fix it.

I love this product, by the way. It's let me return to the Mac - my first (computer) love.

Thanks in advance, and happy New Year!

Patrick

P.S. I've attached a screen shot of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  8. Little Neddy

Little Neddy Bit poster

Extra volumes

Others may have worked this out already, but if you put as one of your shared folders
    /volumes
    all mounted volumes on your computer can be read! Awsome!

9. musox

musox Bit poster

10. Emoye

Emoye Bit poster

Ok

I under that this is what it is doing I guess I did not give enough info:
    All I am doing is lunching windows xp VM and then quiting( Apple-Q). I don't open anything. Do it again, and again, a few times then all of sudden it takes a long time to quit. I would understand this if I had more thing open that it was saving (suspending the state) but I don't.

11. zcrc01

zcrc01 Bit poster

Windows XP using Bootcamp Partition

I created the virtual machine through the wizard, to use the bootcamp partition (Windows XP). But when I try to boot it, I get an error message:

Parallels Desktop cannot find necessary drivers to configure your Boot Camp partition. Please refer to Help> Parallels Desktop Help> Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation for troubleshooting.

How do I fix this? I didn't have any prior versions of Parallels installed.

12. collinong

collinong Junior Member

So here we are with a whole new beta version and still no ability to manually select a hard disk or volume to work around the Boot Camp greyed out problem. And not even an answer from the devs on why this can't be made an option? Since the problem seems to be with Parallels detecting the right volume's existence when non-standard partitions or physical configurations are used, why not just let us choose one? If we choose wrong and it crashes on boot, then that's a separate problem!

Hello, devs? Please just answer this question, I beg of you!

13. cortig

cortig Member

Just a quick pot to mention that the new build corrected the problems with VIsta RTM for me.
    No problem booting it, installing the new Parallels tools and rebooting it with the new tools :)
    This is going to make my life a lot easier :)

14. n9yty

n9yty Member

.mem file???

Is this new in Beta3? I'm using a bootcamp install (migrated my vm to bootcamp after beta2), and beta3 trashed my installed windows because it ran out of disk space on my (Mac) boot drive. I couldn't figure out why this could be, but after digging I see that a 1.46GB file is being created where my .pvs file is with an extension of .mem.

What is the file, why is it needed, and how can I prevent it? I don't want to take up ANOTHER 1.5 GB of disk space just to run the boot camp installed Windows.

BTW: How ungraceful, when it filled up my drive trying to create this file it forced my parallels session to quit, and damaged the windows licensing system (at least that is what the event logger in Windows said, it couldn't determine if windows was genuine or not). I was able to boot into BootCamp natively, then create a new parallels session which seems to have basically gotten me back up and running.

15. atrick

atrick Bit poster

"Parallels Shared Files" on XP desktop?

I have an icon on my XP desktop called "Parallels Shared Files" that is a shortcut to "\\.psf". I open it and nothing's there. Is this a place to put stuff I want to share between OS's? Or is it an artifact from an earlier build of PDM? I started with 1970, then went to #2 and now am on build #3.

Thx,

Allan

16. atrick

atrick Bit poster

Viewing desktop items in Coherence mode

Would it be desirable to be able to see XP desktop items when in Coherence mode? I only see the Mac desktop items and presume it might be messy to try and overlay the XP items since they may be right on top of Mac items. But if one was careful and used different sides of the screen for items from the different OS's, would it be possible to show both when using Coherence?

Allan

17. Little Neddy

Little Neddy Bit poster

re:Viewing desktop items in Coherence mode

Click the desktop icon (assuming quicklaunch is enabled) to toggle between mac/xp desktops.

18. atrick

atrick Bit poster

Problem using VPN from XP in Parallels

Sorry to have so many questions tonight! Just playing around with the new build, and there's something I really need to do but can't. And it may have nothing to do with Parallels, but if it does, thought I'd ask.

I really need to be able to establish a VPN connection to my work network. Colleagues tell me they can do it from their XP machines at home, and I've duplicated their settings in the Windows VPN connection item. But Windows won't let me do it. Is there a reason this might not be working due to me using Parallels?

I'm on a DSL connection going through a wireless router/modem and have suspected the problem might lie there. But I've spent hours on the phone with my ISP and they've reset the modem to its factory state, as well as forced a static IP address on my machine (in ipconfig). Perhaps this is a result of using Airport to get to that modem though?

If anyone has any guesses what might be wrong, please let me know -- or point me to the proper place to post this if it doesn't have anything to do with Parallels.

Thanks!

Allan

(That's it for me today in this forum. :) )

19. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

NEW! USB 2.0 support - Plug and play popular USB devices like external hard drives, printers, and scanners, and use them at full native speed.

NEW! Full-feature virtual CD/DVD drive - Burn CDs and DVDs directly in virtual machines, and play any copy-protected CD or DVD just like you would on a real PC

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU PARALLELS!!!!!!!!!!!

20. dfbills

dfbills Junior Member

b3 3106 is not working for me

Version b3 3106 is not working for me. It does go further than the previous builds.

The app starts fine, then I get the installing tools message (ScreenSnapz1.jpg). After a while, I see a boot failure (ScreenSnapz2.jpg). When attempting to reboot, I see a fairly normal boot sequence (ScreenSnapz3.jpg), which again ends in the boot failure (ScreenSnapz4.jpg).

See attached screenshots. Here is my system config:

How much HDDs does your Mac have?

MBP Core Duo with 1 100GB HDD, 2 partitions with 10GB for Bootcamp

Where is your Boot Camp partition located?

2nd partition on the MacBook Pro drive (basic deployment option for Bootcamp).

What is the OS installed on Boot Camp exact name and version? Is it 64-bit one or 32-bit one?

32-bit WinXP SP2

Open Terminal, issue the "mount" command and post its output here please

/dev/disk0s2 on / (local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (local)
    fdesc on /dev (union)
    <volfs> on /.vol
    automount -nsl [304] on /Network (automounted)
    automount -fstab [308] on /automount/Servers (automounted)
    automount -static [308] on /automount/static (automounted)
    /dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/iDisk (local, nodev, nosuid, journaled, mounted by dfbills)
    /dev/disk0s3 on /Volumes/WINDOWS HD (local)
    http://idisk.mac.com/dfbills/ on /Volumes/dfbills (nodev, noexec, nosuid, mounted by dfbills)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006