Can't get workstation to recognize CD for install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Zuul, Apr 6, 2006.

1. jfmesch

jfmesch Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem with a new MacBook Pro. I've tried using an image and the original WinXP CD. There is no attempt to access the drive. :(

Thanks.

2. gpeak

gpeak Bit poster

Lost CD Rom

I installed Win 98 on my VM. Took a while but eventually got er done. I then installed an upgrade version of Win ME using the "real" CD ROM configuration. Ripped through the install!:) I then tried to install my wifes favorite game. Oops, windows could not access CD ROM. Checked config only to see config for CD ROM had been changed to Image option and could not return to real CD ROM option. I dis-enabled CD ROM and was able to re-configure to real CD ROM. When I renabled I got the "name does not agree" message and have not been able to get VM to recognize the CD ROM.I get the "cannot connect to CD/DVD ROM" message. Other than that ME runs very well and boots from the HD in less than 15 seconds. Any Ideas?:eek:

3. caoimhin

caoimhin Bit poster

Read errors from install disk

I have the same problem - getting read errors from a brand new and good CD.

k

4. bma

bma Bit poster

Cd & F8

Having my XP CD in my MacBook before booting WP2.1 also works for me...
    Getting F8 key working is also required for the XP acceptance of the user agreement...

2 for 2 on install glitches that should be at the least in a read me/help files (unless I missed them) for what would seem a very common installation (xp on a macbook) so I recommend these be put on the FAQ on the main webpage asap...

5. gpeak

gpeak Bit poster

Lost CD ROM

I have found also that having CD in drive will get PW to read disk. With the disk in right clicking on CD icon and selecting connect will remove red x from CD ROM icon. Cannot save this config however and must go through process each time.

6. jfmesch

jfmesch Bit poster

I don't get it, but I was able to resolve my problem. I grabbed the new beta, and then tried creating a completely new VM file, and it worked right away. All I can figure is maybe there was corruption in my first file. So far so good, I hope it keeps working.

7. roscoe13

roscoe13 Bit poster

yeah, that worked for me as well. Of course, I'm 3+ hours into a win2kpro install at this point...

Peace

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

3+ hours of Windows 2000 installation means that something goes wrong. Typically it should take no more than 20 minutes. There are 2 possible reasons of such behaviour:

1. Wrong acceleration settings - VT-x setting is off and Acceleration level set to "Disabled". Set VT-x on and set Acceleration level to high.

2. Incorrect memory settings. Check reserved memory in menu Edit->Preferences->Memory. Amount of reserved memory should exceed memory allocated for guest OS for optimal performance. To fix adjust reserved memory or chanhe amount of allocated memory for guest OS.

9. roscoe13

roscoe13 Bit poster

Acceleration settings already that way.

Reserved=1240MB, guestOS=128MB...

Any other ideas?

10. psyberhigh

psyberhigh Bit poster

Create Image to Install from Instead

I attempted to install from valid XP CD (a copy) several times without success. After reading several posts in this forum I tried one of the suggestions which was to create an .ISO image and install from it. I used the Apple Disk Utility BUT...when creating the image select the disk type of CD/DVD Master (a .CDR extension) and NOT the default image which creates a .DMG file. When complete, simply rename the file extension from .CDR to .ISO and then it can be selected from within the configuration setup. Worked for me...hope this helps someone else...took me an hour to figure this out...product looks great though and excited to have XP running on OSX...I am certain to purchase after Beta trial ends...

11. Woody

Woody Bit poster

No Love!

I've tried everything everyone has mentioned here and on other sites, still not feeling the love!

• Made sure Windows install disc was mounted before starting PW.
    • Disabled/enabled CD/DVD drive in VM with CD mounted.
    • Deleted CD/DVD device then re-added with CD mounted (just made that one up).
    • Used Disk Utility to create an ISO image file (using above tip. Thanks!) and told the VM to use the .iso file.
    • Deleted all VMs, and created a new one for Win95.

No Love! I'm installing Win95 (don't have a full XP available). All I get is "No boot device available, press Enter to continue."

Memory set to 156MB, 256MB reserved. CD-ROM set as first boot device, Accelleration set to High, VT-x support on.

I'm doing all this on a stock iMac Core Duo 17", 512MB memory.

Oh yeah, Parallels 2.1 Beta 3.

Anybody have any ideas? Anyone? Someone? Beuller?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  12. Woody

Woody Bit poster

Okay, nevermind. Aparently the Full Win95 CD I have isn't bootable. Tried it in my clunker Gateway, won't boot from the CD either.

Parallels does boot from my Win XP Upgrade CD correctly, though I can't install from it, since it's an upgrade. ARGH!

13. Woody

Woody Bit poster

It's working! Had to jump thru some interesting hoops, but at this point I don't care. Here's what I did in case it helps others.

I created a new VM, and booted from the Win XP Pro SP1 Update CD. It asked me to insert a previous CD to verify eligibility to update, and it mysteriously said that I could insert a Windows 95 CD.

Meh?

So I did. But to do that, I had to suspend the VM and quit Parallels, since it wouldn't let me eject the Win XP disc. I inserted the Win 95 disc, waited for it to mount, then restarted the VM. It verified the disc, then said to put the Win XP disc back in. Again, I suspended the VM and quit Parallels, ejected the Win 95 disc and inserted Win XP. It then asked to format the HD, I had it to a quick NTFS format.

Then the install proceeded normally! About 40 minutes later, I was up and running!

I'm not going to question why the installer worked ok with a Win 95 disc, when it says on the box that Win98 is the minimum for upgrading. This is a very early promo copy of Win XP Pro that I got free at my old job, though.

Parallels is running beautifully, with only two problems: Mouse response is wonky, kinda jumpy. I have sound turned on, and when a sound first starts playing, it stutters really bad before getting going.

Since I need this for work stuff, I'll be buying it for sure! Thanks guys!

So that's 3 posts in a row, I'll shut up now. ;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  14. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Just out of curiousity, did you install the Parallels Tools? I found on beta 3 once I did that, the mouse jumpiness was gone completely.

15. PhilB

PhilB Bit poster

I've tried everything in this forum, too. Still no joy. No matter what I do (Image file .cdr -> .iso; CD insterted before startup, after startup; re-enabling various hardware; boot sequence) absolutely nothing works and I get the familiar 'No Boot device available....' error. The CD seems to spin up fine though...

Any ideas?

[Mini duo 1.66GHz & XP SP1]

16. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did you check this issue with Beta4?

17. dylanjames

dylanjames Junior Member

Some joy (boot device)

I have also had the problem others have had with "No boot device found".

I thought beta 4 would solve my problems, but it didn't. Before giving up entirely, I started messing around with all of the Parallels configuration options.

I found one that worked:

I set the CDROM to IDE channel 0:1 ( which is slave of channel 0) instead of the default 1:0.

This got me booted from my XP cd. I don't know why 1:0 didn't work -- it really should.

dylan

18. cccsander

cccsander Bit poster

Similary, "No boot device available, press Enter to continue."

After creating a Windows-ready virtual machine, the CD-Rom with the Windows XP disk is not found, in spite of numerous attempts, including various tricks posted on this discussion forum.

Interestingly, the CD-Rom is visible on the desktop (and readable) from within Mac OS X - but the CD icon disappears as soon as the Parallels workstation is activated.

Something is obviously wrong, possible on the firmware level.

I did have to resort to the "sleep for 5 min" trick to get around the "No Intel Virtualization" message (see elsewhere in this forum).

Mac Mini Intel Core Duo - Mac OS X 10.4.6 - using Beta6.

It's BETA, yes, yet it's very frustrating.

Help ?

19. steffen

steffen Bit poster

Same problem here: iMac Intel Core Duo 20" - 10.4.6 - Beta6
    Unsuccessfully spent last night on trying thousand and one permutations of workarounds posted here and elsewhere in this forum: brand new Windows XP CD-Rom is connected but system won't boot from it to install Windows "No boot device available, press Enter to continue."
    Under any other circumstances I would have thrown out the CD but this problem doesn't seem to centre around faulty CDs but around a bug in the beta.

Anyone here with a miraculous solution? Perhaps we have to wait for beta7...?