Recent Maintenance Update to ver 4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kris G, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Kris G

Kris G Member

I just was notified that there was maintenance update, so I promptly updated it. However, I did encounter new behavior. I run Parallels 4.0 on late MBP 15 with Windows Vista Home under bootcamp.

Before update, when I clicked on desktop icon for my VM it started loading at full screen and than it went to Coherent mode. Now, it starts in window mode, than windows start and there is a delay before it goes from Windows mode to Coherent mode. I have VM configured to start in Coherent mode. Is this behavior a right one under this update?

Thank you.

Kris

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes it correct and default behavior

3. Joe.B

Joe.B Bit poster

New Maint. release does not install

The new maint release is automatically located when parallels opens, and when clicked ot install, downloads, asks the usual MAC password permission t install and appears to start installing...but then fails each time with a note to contact tech support. How do I fix it?
    Joe

4. eddyk

eddyk Member

same problem here....

5. biglar

biglar Pro

Shut down the VM before installing.

6. Joe.B

Joe.B Bit poster

Did that, but the same problem - does not install

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Joe,
    Do you have spaces in your home folder name?
    mac HD - Users

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Looks like the root of the problem is renaming the Parallels Desktop application bundle or moving it somewhere outside the Applications folder. The update installer expects it in Applications folder and fails in case nothing is found.

We are already working on the problem. There are two options available:

Option 1
    1. Quit Parallels Desktop.
    2. If you renamed Parallels Desktop application to something else, rename it back to Parallels Desktop.
    3. If you moved Parallels Desktop application to some other folder (say, Desktop), move it back to Applications root.
    4. Launch Parallels Desktop from Applications, run the update and wait till it's finished.
    5. (optional) Move/rename the application like you're used to.

Option 2
    Wait a day or two while we are fixing the problem, and re-check for updates. It will update successfully.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. scorpionsix

scorpionsix Junior Member

Looking at the Install Terminal file in the un-compressed file (ParallelsDesktopForMac-4.0.3810.351321-Update2.1-en_US), it appears that all that occurring is the following:

# Copy updates
    _cp "${SWD}/Update/GUI/prl_client_app" '/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app'
    _cp "${SWD}/Update/GUI/Info.plist" '/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist'