Windows 7: No taskbar with Coherence?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Jan 9, 2009.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

I had zero problems installing the 32-bit version of Windows 7 beta in a PD VM (Bravo, Parallels!). And no problem installing Parallel Tools. However, when in Coherence, I have no taskbar. Even the Parallels icon in the Dock does not show the taskbar. It's almost like it got turned off in Coherence. Any ideas or a setting I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Nevermind. I right clicked the Dock icon and found the option to turn the taskbar on.

Steve

3. drwhitt

drwhitt Bit poster

I'm was having the same problem, the Windows 7 Beta taskbar didn't display in coherence mode, but couldn't find any "option to turn the taskbar on" when I clicked (clicked-and-held or right-clicked, that is) on the PD Dock icon to expose the context menu. At first I thought that @strells might have meant somewhere within the "Preferences..." dialog but didn't find anything that looked like what was alluded to.

Then, I did notice the entry "Hide Windows Taskbar" in the "Applications" context menu item's sub-list. After pondering, "Why would I want to select 'Hide Windows Taskbar' when it's not currently displayed? It's already hidden," and then thinking, "Maybe it's supposed to have a check next to it indicating that the taskbar is hidden. Or, maybe it's a bug," so I went ahead and selected it anyway. Then, lo and behold, the taks bar appeared. And, now, when I view the list of sub-menu items on the "Applications" context menu entry it does toggle correctly between "Show Windows Taskbar and "Hide Windows Taskbar" correctly and as expected and the Windows taskbar appears and disappears, respectively.

Not a major bug in PD, mind you, but just a niggly little bug.

Thanks for the hint, @strells.

4. PeteD

PeteD Bit poster

Yup, this is a bit confusing. IMHO, at the very least, showing the taskbar should be the default. I can see arguments for either setting be the default, but showing it is less likely to be confusing to a user than hiding it, and thus IMHO that's the one with the stronger argument for being the default.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is depends of Microsoft implementation, let us wait final release to check their final code, and see, the Task bar behavior

6. paynetc

paynetc Bit poster

Thank goodness I found this thread.

My problem was that the Windows 7 taskbar was *not* displaying in Windowed and Full Screen views, but *was* displaying in Coherence.

I installed the 32-bit Windows 7 beta with default settings all the way 'round. Everything was fine until I installed Parallels Tools. After that, the taskbar disappeared in Windowed and Full Screen views. I can now see the taskbar, after right clicking the Parallels Dock icon and choosing Applications -> Show Windows Taskbar.

I really appreciate having the option to hide the taskbar, but hiding it in Windowed and Full Screen should not be the default. Also, "Applications" isn't where I'd expect to find this setting. I'd expect to find things about... well... Applications in the Applications section.

7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter