MS Excel and function keys problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bmwmcrider, Jan 26, 2009.

1. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Hello,

Recently I installed a new add-in in Excel 2004 For Mac. Several of the functions in the add-in return a variant array data type; it appears that Excel 2004 For Mac VBA doesn't like variant array data types although it is perfectly happy with the variant data type. So I installed Excel 2007 in my guest OS and installed the add-in there. The add-in compiles without a problem and everything runs fine .

However, I discovered that I can't use any of the shortcut function keys with Excel 2007. Either nothing happens or some Mac OS X features are spawned. I can't figure out what the problem is. So my question is have I missed some setup in Parallels or is it not possible to use function keys in Excel when running under a VM? I am using the latest release of Parallels and Vista for the guest OS.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

bmwmcrider,

Please check that you have "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts" disabled in Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse.

3. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Hello Flagg,

I already tried unchecking Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts in Preferences but that didn't work.

Mike

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to restore key mapping to defaults -clicking there Restore Defaults

5. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

John,

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried your suggestion but it didn't work. It is only Excel that I am experiencing this problem with. The other applications that I use in my Vista guest OS installation do respond to their respective short cut key inputs.

If it wasn't for the fact that that I have some work books with custom VBA macros that I need I wouldn't even bother using Windows Excel - I'd be using Mac Excel 2004.

Thanks,

Mike