Over 200 2GB files created by Compressor?

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by desmene, Jan 14, 2008.

1. desmene

desmene Bit poster

After running Compressor, getting a hang, then quitting the VM and running Compact from within Configuration (per Parallels staff suggestion in the Forum), I returned to find that some disk space was freed, but also that Windows Explorer now showed the C drive in blue type, and there were over 200 files labeld "PrlsCmps" (also in blue) each listed at 2 GB (image attached). By their creation times, they appear to have been generated during the time that the Compressor seemed to hang.
    What does the C drive now showing up in blue type mean, what are these files (I've searched and don't find any reference to them in the forums), and are they to be eliminated, or what?
    Disturbed... and glad I cancelled Compressor when I did,
    D.

Attached Files:

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Those files are temporary files that Parallels Compressor uses to determine what disk space is free. You can safely delete those files. The file listings being blue just means that the files are compressed.

3. desmene

desmene Bit poster

Many thanks for your reply. Any insight as to why Compressor just hangs, and continues to create these files? As I said, over 200 of these, and I'm sensing it would have continued had I not interrupted it.

4. davert

davert Member

I had a similar issue and found that there were a lot of Windows specific files getting in the way - and that you need to clear out a lot of space for defragmentation. System Restore, among other things, was getting in the way.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is Microsoft default requirements - at least 15% for successful defragmentation

6. kyliej

kyliej Banned