Printing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blipstutter, Dec 31, 2006.

1. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

I've read through this forums many threads on printing, and still don't have printing capabilities in Windows XP after trying all the sugestions: installing bonjour, and installing my printers own drivers.

Simply put, Parallels is not a fully functional program that should be on the market if it can not do basic printing.

If you read the threads some users manage to get it working depending on their set-up, while others never find a solution after weeks, and several Beta revisions. The posts stating that we should "read the threads" aren't helpful, as much as they're just patronizing. If this issue keeps coming up, it's because it hasn't been addressed properly.

Now I'm not trying to bash this software, I am asking for help in the way of a definitive solution for the most basic feature: Printing. I need this program for my work, and purchased an Intel Mac under the assumption that Parallels would allow me to use IE6 for a Real Estate MLS site and allow me to print search results, etc.

I'm using Windows XP Home with Parallels 3036, and a Canon S750 printer. I installed Bonjour, or at least tried, but I can't get through the wizard setup without it asking for a CD, and trying to install files which don't exist. That eventually leads to a " You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer" message. Also, tried installing Canon drivers for Windows, and shared printing is checked. No luck. I can print fine in OSX.

Please help! If there is something simple and basic in the way of a fix to be done, then there need to be a simple toutorial posted or better yet, a Beta revision that simplifies this process so any user can manage to print a silly document. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Printing worked flawlessly for me the first time I tried it in one of the early betas, so it does work, and I'm happy with its printing capability. I note that it doesn't work for some, but don't know why.

The posts telling you to do your homework aren't patronizing. I, as are the others who try to help out here, am a volunteer, and I have a life. I spend time on this just to help the community, and not doing everything you can to help yourself before asking me for my time is disrespectful, so you can expect to get called on it. You don't have a right to answers here -- you're asking us for a favor. This is a USER forum. The existing threads contain solutions that have worked for some folks, and may work for you.

Parallels 3036 is beta software. That means it has bugs since if they were confidant it worked properly it would be release, not beta.

3. dan20164

dan20164 Junior Member

Not sure where you problem may be as I have NEVER had a problem printing from Parallels. Bonjour utility for XP has also been bulletproof. I have installed this on XP under Parallels, and on 3 other pcs and have yet to be asked to insert a CD...

4. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

1) Parallel is not a free program. It was their choice to put it on the marketplace as a Beta. We're not being compensated to test their bugs for them. This is a product for sale through Mac Catalogs - and if a basic function doesn't work without further downloading another program like Bonjour, then that's an inconvenience to me....because yes, I'm entitled to have the software I purchase function up to spec.

2) It's great to hear it works out of the box for some people. I wish it worked for me. Unfortunately, these particular responses do undermind the many users who are experiencing some legit issues,
    Please don't assume we're not doing out homework. I have followed the many contradictory suggestions for solving the print issue. None work for me. Respect what is being posted here. The last page of posts on that latest print thread regarding Bonjour were from users saying they can't get a response from Parallels support, and saying the steps outlined didn't work becuase of the same error message. I'm frustrated that the manufacturer is refering users to a thread that ended with people saying "read the thread" or "no problems here". Posts like that aren't doing users like me any favors, I'm sorry.

Rather then engage in a flame war, I hope someone will come up with a user friendly fix.

5. titetanium

titetanium Member

Have you tried sharing your printer from OSX as a network printer? That might work for you, provided you open a few holes in the firewall to allow local network traffic. Even though I don't have a mac, I'm using linux, I had fits trying to get the usb printer to work in parallels and resorted to the method outlined above which did work for me. Scanning is another story, however and not part of this thread.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

That's just specious nonsense. Using Parallels requires that you obtain and install a guest system, including whatever you need in the guest to work. Although I don't seem to need Bonjour, if that's what it takes, then you need to download it. If you want to do word processing or spreadsheets in Windows, you need to obtain and install Office (or equivalent). At least Bonjour is free.

Parallels has a released version. It's build 1970. If you are using a beta, it's beta regardless of your attitude about purchased products. If you use 1970, you will find that it works up to "spec". If you don't want to test a beta, don't install it.

Now on to the technical issue, hoping we've put the entitlement attitude to rest.

Some printers appear to work with the latest beta, printing directly from Windows, but if you aren't using the beta (which isn't guaranteed to work), then the only way to print is by installing the printer on a network machine or on the Mac under OSX, and installing it in Windows as a network printer. Bonjour for Windows is Apple software designed to let Windows machines (such as your guest) find and use printers attached to Macs (such as your OSX system).

You need to get the printer working under OSX first. Then install Bonjour in your VM, and give it a try.

If that doesn't work, post again with a description of your setup and what you tried, and without an entitlement attitude, and some of the experienced folks will try to help you.

Remember, this forum is provided by Parallels, but the people you are asking for help are volunteers and not Parallels employees, and have nothing to do with the company except as users of their products.

Hope it works for you.

7. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

This was from my initial post.....

"I'm using Windows XP Home with Parallels 3036, and a Canon S750 printer. I installed Bonjour, or at least tried, but I can't get through the wizard setup without it asking for a CD, and trying to install files which don't exist. That eventually leads to a " You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer" message. Also, tried installing Canon drivers for Windows, and shared printing is checked. No luck. I can print fine in OSX."

I'll also add that the setting do not stick, in any of the Wizard set-ups.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  8. joem

joem Forum Maven

Does Bonjour see the printer? If not, is it shared FROM OSX? Can you temporarily disable both the OSX and Windows firewalls and see if that helps?

Let us know.

Happy New Year.

9. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

Bonjour listed the HP Photosmart 2570. Ran it again and picked the default printer selected (because none of the Canon options matched my model).

Now I"m getting a "please insert the Compact Disc labeled 'Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive (D:) and then click OK. You can also click OK if you want the files to be copied from an alternate location, such as a floppy disk or a network server.

Clicking OK gives me a message reading "The file 'HPCJRRPS.DLL' on Windows XP CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. Copy file from: D:\i386"

This leads me to the "you do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer"

?
    also, firewalls are off.

(happy new years!)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  10. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

Okay update with new issue....

Reinstalled the Canon drivers for 5th time, and it suddenly worked. I have no idea why, which is worrisome (If I ever needed to reinstall this fresh, I wouldn't know how to duplicate this).

Anyway, here's the new problem: I quit out of the program to try it again and it's now stuck in a "printer is offline" stage. I can get the print jobs to the queue by hitting the printer icon at the top of IE6, but that's it.

Still can't get Bonjour to recognize my printer, but the Windows XP setup now does.

11. joem

joem Forum Maven

Ummm... quit out of which program?

It sounds as if you are getting access to the printer both over the network and directly. (I haven't tried Bonjour since I've never needed it. Network printers just worked. (to my utter amazement given the chatter about it)).

Are you telling XP setup to connect to a network printer? If you try to connect to the printer as local, you may have a conflict with both OS's thinking they own it.

Using the printer locally may work, but using it both ways won't.

At this point, I'm guessing since I can't duplicate your setup, and I've never seen that "insufficient access" message.

Anyone with direct experience want to chime in here?

12. blipstutter

blipstutter Bit poster

I honestly don't know how to answer those questions... but by some miracle, printing now works, save for one thing....

When I create a print job, I have to manually select Devices --> USB --> My printers name.

Is there any way around having to manually select the device? The others in the list (Apple internal keyboard, IR receiver, AppleComputers Inc. - Wireless) work even without a check mark next to them.