Parallels 4.0.38-Coherence Mode and Shutdownn

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gjlazar, Jan 22, 2009.

1. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

1. When running in coherence, I cannot use pop up lists to fill in cells or even type input into cells in investment brokerage software. Is this to be expected? in the windows mode it works fine.

2. What are the disadvantages, if any, to closing Parallels when the windows desktop is up ( as opposed to closing windows first? This speeds starup next time you run parallels.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

1. What is software, can we test it?
    2. You may corrupt VM, if you quit Parallels,please use Start -Shutdown

3. Macaby

Macaby Member

I certainly don't see any speed advantage when booting Parallels after closing Parallels with Windows still running. Also, every time I've done that (accidently), I get an error when rebooting that says Windows was not shut down correctly. It's been my experience that these errors can mess up a Windows installation.

So I agree with Parallels tech support here that that you should NOT do this.

4. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

The software I had trouble with in coherence mode was Fidelity's Active Trader, you might contact them at Fidelity.com to see if you can get a test version. As far as I know you can download the software from their web site <http://personal.fidelity.com/accounts/activetrader/>but have to have an account to make inputs, like place an order.

If I close all applications in Parallels' Windows XP VM and go to the windows desktop then quit parallels, when I rerun parallels next time it comes right up with the desktop, no need to wait for Windows to load. I have never gotten any error notices, just click on an windows prog icon and go! Is that leaving memory tied up when I am not using parallels?

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I see it is very intensive 3D software, as I can see
    2.5 GHz processor or higher 2.5 GHz or higher single processor. Dual processor system is recommended for best performance
    1 GB RAM or higher 2 GB RAM
    DSL, Cable, or T1 DSL, Cable, or T1
    120 MB 200 MB recommended for install 120 MB 200 MB recommended for install
    17" Monitor at 1024 x 768 19" Monitor at 1280 x 1024
    32 bit color 32 bit color
    Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 , XP Professional Service Pack 2, or Vista (we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM for Vista) and Microsoft .NET 2.0 Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 or Vista (we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM for Vista) and Microsoft .NET 2.0

So, I guess, you need to increase video memory to 256 mB

6. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

I increased the video memory as you recommended to 356 and it seems to work fine nowl Thanks.