How to downgrade?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CVD, Dec 8, 2008.

1. CVD

CVD Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm trying to downgrade back to v3, but the v3 installer keeps telling me I need to uninstall v4, however, the Parallels folder does not contain an uninstall app. How do I uninstall Parallels v4? It seems simply dragging it to my trash doesn't delete it (which I guessed, but tried anyway). Any help is appreciated!

2. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Hi CVD,

The correct way to uninstall Parallels Desktop 4.0 is to choose uninstall option from dmg installation package or installation CD/DVD. If you do not have dmg or disk, please follow the instructions from this article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5715

3. fxs

fxs Bit poster

How to downgrade

I do not know about you, but the reply does not seem to answer the original question ...

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Sir,

Have you applied the article?

In case that did not help please try to do the following:

- download the Parallels Desktop 4,0 .dmg file on our website (or probably you have that file in /downloads or in some other location)
    - right click on the file, you will see installation window (several options like install, uninstall and so on)
    Please select uninstall Parallels Desktop

- after that please download the last build of Parallels Desktop 3.0 5626 http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg

And double click and install it.

Let me know if that helps you.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. galochka

galochka Hunter

Parallels Desktop 4.0 (misprint)

6. CVD

CVD Bit poster

I tried the solution in the article yesterday, but it didn't help. Also, I got an error while executing the script:

asterisk:/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Resources tim$ sudo ./Uninstaller.sh desktop vitools gtoolsPassword:
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Audio.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Audio.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Video.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Video.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools TimeSync.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools TimeSync.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools HostTime.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools HostTime.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Shared Folders.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools Shared Folders.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools ToolGate for Mac OS X 10.5.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
    **** Can't open /Library/Receipts/Parallels Tools ToolGate for Mac OS X 10.5.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom.
    nothing found to unload
    [UN_OP]:Removing Guest OS Tools [UN_MSG]:Removing Guest OS Tools
    [UN_PERCENT]:98[UN_OP]:postuninstall Operations[UN_MSG]:performing Postuninstall Operations
    [UN_PERCENT]:100[UN_OP]:Uninstall successfull[UN_MSG]:Removed successfully
    asterisk:/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Resources tim$

The error is obvious, I run Tiger, not Leopard.

The Parallels 3 installer still tells me Parallels 4 is installed. I'll download the v4 dmg and try the uninstall from that one.

7. CVD

CVD Bit poster

Ok, after downloading the dmg and uninstalling from there, I can install Parallels 3.

8. bonzo_bcn

bonzo_bcn Bit poster

If I downgrade from 4 to 3, will I loose all the software etc I have installed in windows?

9. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

bonzo bcn,

No, that will not affect your virtual machine files.