Installed 3106 on new MacBook, now it won't boot anything.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Radak, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Radak

Radak Bit poster

Just installed 3106 on a brand new Core 2 Duo MacBook tonight, and all seemed to be going well setting up the Boot Camp XP to run in Parallels until I got to the point of Parallels Tools trying to install in XP. It never completed the Tools install and XP seemed to be hung on trying to install an unsigned driver for "DVD-ROM Drive" (obviously it was seeing it as totally generic). As there was no keyboard or mouse usable in XP at this pont, there was no way to select the continue anyway button. First of all, anybody seen this happen on the first boot of a Boot Camped XP inside Parallels? It's XP Corporate, which I know has caused a few quirks in the past.

Second is the bigger issue, which I hope is just a coincidence. Right after encountering the above problem with Parallels, the system kernel panicked, which I initially assumed was just some little bug with the Parallels beta, so I rebooted to get another kernel panic, this time within about 1/4 second of the Apple logo appearing on screen (so it was hardly getting anywhere). Okay, I figured something must have trashed the drive and tried booting the Tiger installer disc to start over... kernel panic again. Tried a SMC reset, no change.

My thoughts of course go to infant mortality of the MacBook hardware, as it'd been used only about four hours before all this panicking started. I'm planning to take it into the local Apple Store tomorrow to see what they think, but wanted to check here first to see if anyone can think of any way that Parallels could have initiated this problem. It doesn't do anything to EFI when setting up the Boot Camp XP stuff does it? Anyone got any other thoughts?

2. Roner

Roner Junior Member

Just wanted to confirm that on my iMac 20" I am having the same installation issue - the unsigned driver notice hangs the installation. I am trying to figure out a way around it - perhaps disabling the CD/DVD before running the installation for the first time.

XP Pro Corp, volume license key (first build that is working with both FAT32 and VLKs).

3. Roner

Roner Junior Member

Disabling the CD/DVD drive does not work (Parallels asks you to enable it); using an ISO image does not work either. I am going to try the instructions here to disable the unsigned driver dialog. I'll let you know how it works.

Another point I discovered the gard way was that I needed to disable my logon password prior to the installation.

4. Roner

Roner Junior Member

No go. When I disabled the "unsigned driver" dialog from Bootcamp, it only applied to bootcamp. The initial boot through Parallels still gets stuck with the unsigned driver dialog for the CD-ROM drive.

Would love to hear suggestions. Why is it an unsigned driver anyway? Is there any place where we can get a signed driver? Where should we put it?

5. roncan

roncan Bit poster

SAme problem

I have the same problem.
    Can not access the computer anymore. I am trying tom get in via windows but sofar no result.
    This seems to be a real problem.
    If anybody has a workaround please post the solution.

Again, after installing the last build system froze. I restarted the macbook and got a kernel panic right after startup.
    Trying to boot via restore dvd gives the same problem.
    Only reinstalling installing windows works partly. No control over keyboard or trackpad during startup but after that ok.

6. channelar

channelar Bit poster

Macbook wont boot after Parallels Beta 2 related Crash

Macbook Core 2 Duo is 3 weeks old with 200gb Drive and 1GB RAM.

Bootcamp partition with Windows XP Professional Retail installed successfully.

Had Parallels Beta 1 with two many problems but successfully installed Beta 2 about a week ago attached to Bootcamp partition. Only problem was that machine crawled. Was going to get more memory when the shops reopen next week.

Had one crash last week which corrupted the Bootcamp boot sequence but after reopening Parallels on the Mac side both boots were fine.

Yesterday I opened Parallels briefly and after about ten minutes the machine started crawling and became eventually 90% unresponsive. Eventually there was no option but to shut the machine down.

Now when it starts up in Mac it asks to restart each time. When inserting the Apple install disk , and starting up with the C key down, it boots onto the disk but hangs with a plain blue screen. When th option key is pressed on restart the three options for boot come up with Mac , Windows and Apple Install CD. When selecting Mac the restart message appears again. When booting into Windows the missing hal.dll message appears although it looks like it would boot if the boot.ini could be repaired.

I spoke with AppleCare by phone not long after it happened and they couldn't instigate a repair. and said it was hardware related. They are closed for the next 3 days. I ran the hardware check by starting with D pressed. It said the system was fine. I stongly doubt it is hardware.

My gut feel is there has been some corruption caused by the crash. Does anyone have any suggestions to repair the boot up or to get the install to work. Even how to repair the windows boot up side after the startup would be useful.

The earliest an Apple Service Center is available is Wednesday. Any workarounds would be welcome.

7. roncan

roncan Bit poster

windows repair

I was able to reinstal the bootcamp windows partition.
    Start comp with option pressed, start the windows install from the windowsdisk. Just before you get the message of the missing file, it briefly shows another screen.
    I just kept on pressing the down arrow and the enter key to get to the second option of that menu to be able to reinstall the windows part.
    It worked even it took me several restarts before it started reinstalling.
    Now I'm updating the macdriversd on the partion, see if the osx partion will work after that.

8. roncan

roncan Bit poster

problem solved

Finally found the solution.
    Get yourself a copy of diskwarrior 4.0
    Burn a bootable copy in diskutility
    Startup macbook with this disk, repair volume and everything is back working again.

9. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Mate, my macbook (exactly same spec) is only a week old, and i've had the same thing happen on mine. It is NOT hardware related. You only have to look at these forums, and the threads/posts since BETA3 to see that.
    Just completeley wipe parallels of your system, maybe back up your files onto a dvd, then do a clean install of mac osx. This beat's obviosly doing horrible things to your/our hardrive(s). Yeah, it's great being able to boot up windoze while in osx, but at what cost? Not knowing whats going to happen every time you switch it on isn't worth it.

chrisj303

10. channelar

channelar Bit poster

Fixed

You have a point.

I managed to fix the non startup problem by using Techtools Pro 4.5.

It was as simple as booting the disc with the option key depressed and then restarting from the apple menu when the Techtools menu comes up.

It didnt seem to require repair.

Parallels and Bootcamp work normally.

I'm not sure why Applecare couldn't suggest the same as the disk comes with the subscription.

Parallels must do something to make the Mac startup unstable. Anyone from Parallels care to comment? I'm understanably a little nervous in using it. Easier to reboot into bootcamp.

11. Radak

Radak Bit poster

I was able to solve my problem of the MacBook not booting anything by finding something it would boot, namely a Knoppix 5.0.1 Linux CD. That booted just fine (I was actually just hoping for a more comprehensive crash dump), and ever since I booted that, the Mac boots just fine.

Still trying to figure out a way to get around the unsigned driver issue, but at least the MacBook is back to working. :)

12. Roner

Roner Junior Member

As for the unsigned driver dialog - the solution is not a happy one. A clean install, with a fresh sp2.cab downloaded from Microsoft into C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386, did the trick. Now I have to rebuild everything...

13. Radak

Radak Bit poster

Ditto here. A completely fresh install of a different copy of XP SP2 seems to have everything working fine now. Hey, it's beta software, right? Sure is slick when it works... :D

14. spiz

spiz Bit poster

I think I'm having the same problem as the original poster, namely that OS X won't boot (I get a "You must restart your computer...." message) and WindowsXP seems to hang. I don't have another Mac to use Techtool Pro, and I can't seem to get a copy of DiskWarrior. I tried booting Knoppix, which worked, but the situation with OS X didn't resolve.

Could anyone advise me on what my options are at this point? :(

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  15. spiz

spiz Bit poster

Pretty much "solved" it by formatting and reinstalling OS X. Looks like I'll be trying parallels again once it goes stable :D

16. OrangeFurious

OrangeFurious Bit poster

Formatting and reinstalling the OS isn't exactly an elegant solution. :)

Parallels reminds me a lot of the initial beta (and release) of Internet Explorer 4.0 - the one that added OS integration. Pretty much any machine it came near died a flaming death. Most unfortunate as I could learn to really like Parallels if it worked.

My MacBook is also among the effected and won't boot anything I can throw at it. I do not have access to DiskWarrior and don't plan to buy it. Has anyone found another method of getting around this - maybe hook it to another mac via firewire?

17. OrangeFurious

OrangeFurious Bit poster

Heyas,

For anyone still having problems, I've got a quick roundup of the available solutions.

I. Repair your Mac OS partition using a TechTools 4.5 or Diskwarrior 4 bootable disk.
    1) I'm just going off reports here, I don't have either and haven't tried it.

II. The Multiple Mac Method
    1) Connect your MacBook to another Intel Mac via firewire.
    2) Boot the secondary Mac in target disk mode.
    3) Hold option while booting the MacBook, select the secondary Mac as your startup disk.
    4) Once in the OS, run the disk utility on your MacBook’s hard drive. It will most likely claim there were no errors. That’s okay.
    5) Shutdown both machines.
    6) Reboot the MacBook normally – all should be repaired.

III. Repair Drive Method
    1) Connect your MacBook to a firewire HDD with a working install of OSX for Intel.
    2) See steps 3-6 of the Multi-mac method.

I personally did not have access to any of these methods and had to make a trip to the Genius Bar. They seemed really skeptical at first, but once I convinced them to try using Disk Utility off a firewire drive it worked (they still checked my RAM on a test machine after it was fixed though). I have to say I was really pleased with the Genius Bar (first visit) for not giving me crap about the beta nature of Parallels 3106 and BootCamp.

Hopefully this will help some of you out.

18. bdwilso2

bdwilso2 Junior Member

My problem sounds very similar: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=40179

I did try to boot off of another clone of my machine with no success. Apple store folks tried to boot of the network, with no go. Kernel panics everytime. They sent it off to be fixed.

19. emmiyeh

emmiyeh Bit poster

Same thing happened to me. I did not have another Intel mac, but I did hook it up to my PPC Mac, put the Intel in FireWire mode, and used Disk Utility on the Intel HDD through the PPC. Worked like a charm.

20. TheBrawnyMan

TheBrawnyMan Bit poster

same thing here

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday, I'm running RC1 on a new MacBook core 2 duo 2 gig. I'm going to attempt to boot from another macbook later today when I can get my hands on a fire wire cable. Hopefully this is something they can fix in the final release version, because up until this kernel panic business my experience with Parallels has been stellar.