apple bluetooth keyboard

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Randy Shanks, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Randy Shanks

Randy Shanks Bit poster

I am running build 1970 on a MacBook Pro w/ win XP Pro in Parallels.
    Everything works fine except I must tap the clear key on the keypad of the keyboard to activate the number lock at every startup.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the number lock active without tapping the clear key on the keypay every time?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Randy Shanks

Randy Shanks Bit poster

Re-bluetooth keyboard

anyone???????

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

You actually have to tap a key every time you boot the computer? Man, if that's your biggest problem, consider yourself totally blessed.

I have to select a user, then actually enter a password, and then (ready for this?) hit the enter key. By then I'm too tired to use it (no, that's a lie, it's actually pretty easy). Then if I want to use Windows, I have to launch Parallels, and actually click start (because I don't want it to start automatically in case I have to change something in the setup).

Then once Windows boots, there's another password to enter -- oh the effort!

Then to actually use Windows, I have to select and launch a program, and probably open a file (several steps).

With all that, tapping a key to make the numeric keypad work doesn't seem like such a chore to me. What's the big deal??

And the Macbook Pro doesn't have a clear key or numeric keypad anyway, so now I'm totally confused as to why this is important enough to warrant a post.

4. Dogfish Jones

Dogfish Jones Junior Member

wow, joem, way to welcome a new poster. Maybe take the time to read more carefully next time.

The issue is with the bluetooth keyboard, not the default MBP keyboard. While the MBP keyboard does not have a 'clear' key, the bluetooth keyboard does, in the same spot that windows keyboards have a numlock key.

Also, Randy said nothing about having to press one key in order to do anything in windows. he's asking how to keep numlock engaged permanently in the VM. On a Windows machine, when you engage numlock, it stays engaged even if you reboot. He'd just like to see the same behavior in the VM.

Way to completely miss the point and blast the guy, though.

Randy, I've noticed the same thing but haven't worked out a solution yet. If I come across one, I'll let you know.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

I didn't notice the title -- sorry.

My comment about it not being worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things stands. So it doesn't stick -- BFD. Push it when you start Windows. Or write (or find) a Windows program that toggles numlock and put in the startup menu.

He asked the question and bumped it. From my perspective, it really is pretty minor.

6. ajay

ajay Hunter

Randy: I don't know the answer to your concern, but FWIW I will say that I am also running build 1970 with an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. I only had to tap the clear key once (way back when with an earlier build) and have never needed to do it again. Granted, you shouldn't have to touch the key everytime you start your guest OS, but compared to other complaints on this forum, you should be thankful your problems are so small. : )

7. rmf

rmf Member

Yeah but the snotty tone doesn't help

8. Randy Shanks

Randy Shanks Bit poster

bluetooth keyboard clear key

Wow is right. Thanks for the cordial reply Dogfish Jones and rmf. To the snobish reception from some, I was under the apparently misguides assumpion this forum is to help each other with issues.
    FYI the computer belongs to my wife, I was just trying to make things easier for her.
    Farewell to all, you will not hear from me again.
    Randy Shanks

9. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Start->Run then type in...

control userpasswords2

deselect "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"