After upgrade to v4, XP Pro extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by villox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rufosx

rufosx Member

I'm suffering through this as well. My experience is that any reboot or suspend and resume triggers extremely heavy hard disk usage, dragging the VM to crawl. If I make some changes to the VM config (video memory, reinstall tools, etc), it will speed up for the next reboot/suspend, but the next day I'm back to super slow. After 15-20 minutes of this heavy disk thrashing, the VM(s) go back to normal speed.

I've tried just about everything. I've changed every setting in the config. I only run in Window mode, not coherence. I don't have any of the sharing features turned on. I've verified that Spotlight and Time Machine are off for my VM directories. I've tried with anti virus on and off, even trying multiple different AV programs.

I run 4 VMs, usually 2 simultaneously, but each is allocated 940 MB RAM and I've got 6 GB in my machine (quad core mac Pro). PD3 was great speedwise for me.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are asking all people to create ticket in support , as every case may be unique

3. rufosx

rufosx Member

Yes, I've had a ticket for almost a week. I've moved my VMs to another product in the meantime, as Parallels 4 was unusable for me.

Update : the exact same VMs run like lightning in the other product, so the problem appears to be with either Parallels or Parallels Tools.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

Add me to the list of people with this problem. It has been a long time. Where's the response from Parallels?

5. Reggie Byrum

Reggie Byrum Junior Member

Same problem. My MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) was absolutely dragging and then hanging up in Windows Vista. I'll pull up Outlook, go downstairs, take a whiz, fix a glass of tea, then come back up and Outlook would still be trying to load the messages. Same problem trying to surf the internet. Pages would take FOREVER to load. I tried everything to no avail. Then I got the bright idea of disabling all the features including the firewall in Kaspersky Internet Security and BINGO - problem resolved. I'm removing that piece of crap tonight.

6. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

I'm seeing very, very slow response here.. I just upgraded from 2.5 -- Saving, opening, startup, dragging an iPhoto image into Photoshop on XP SP2 (Boot Camp)... all are crawling... Reinstalled Parallel Tools, Checked the Host file, etc.... I backed up all my 2.5 application, prefs files... can I simply put those back to revert?

Thanks.

7. James Drew

James Drew Bit poster

Solution: 1: Create restore point and take registry backup.
    2: Delete all temp files.
    3: Delete all unwanted software's and security software's from add/remove program.
    4: Disable all unwanted services from startup and then remove from registry.
    5: Reset internet explorer and then register all .dll files.
    6: Scan with spyware removal,hijackthis and trojon removal.
    7: Check windows update if found and then download and install.
    8: Restart the computer, and then check it.
    9: If face still problem then restart the computer in safe mode and remove hotfix.
    10: Restart the computer in normal mode and check it.

8. MichaelMyers

MichaelMyers Bit poster

Horrible

Wish I had never "upgraded". Parallels needs to address the issue that their 4.0 product does not work well. I want a refund or a fix. Version 3x was WAYYYYYYYY better. I can't do anything with this one.

9. Tak Cheng

Tak Cheng Bit poster

After upgraded to V4, the performance of my XP pro is much worst than I was in V3. actually worst than when I was in V2 or V1. I have no idea how most of the online review were done. totally unbelievable. I have already waited for few months before upgrading, but ah......still......

I will create a ticket in support, just to report how frustrated after I have upgraded to this version, I hope the problem can be resolved it soon. In the meantime, I will try out the other 2 virtual products in the market, and may be try to downgrade back to V3.

you have done well to come up with another unhappy customer here.

10. razorpit

razorpit Bit poster

Add me to the list, Version 2 was great, Version 3 was better, Version 4 is terrible. I submitted a ticket but considering it took almost 5 months to address the Palm sync issue, it'll be time for Version 5 before 4 is running like it should be.

11. razorpit

razorpit Bit poster

I am glad to see I am not the only one experiencing the same issues. I too created a trouble ticket, I'm interested in finding out what the problem is. I might just delete version 4 and go back to version 3.

12. hschneider

hschneider Pro

Just wanted to let you know that Built 3844 has cut down CPU usage of prl_vm_app from approx 30% to 14% on my MacBook Pro ! Can someone give me a hint if this is on a normal level now ?

Thank you very much,
    Harald

13. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Agreed - I upgraded to v4 because they promised increased performance... this is exactly the opposite.

14. hmolen

hmolen Member

Yes, I upgraded from V3 to V4 this weekend and have the same sluggish performance now as you all suffer from.
    I have a ticket open and will add some more info in it as I just had to "force reboot" of Parallels because of a 100% 100% hang of Parallels (
    I reverted to 1 CPU and it seems a bit better now but that is what I thought since yesterday too.
    I have no option to do a "fresh" install so I am stuck with this version (3844, May 5, 2009) until a solution has been found.
    Only a few more days and I will go back to V3, as my work starts to suffer from it.

Greetings....
    PS. This message took me 15 minutes to write due to "unexplainable "jams" (would have taken me 1 minute on a normal and performing system.

15. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Bit poster

hmolen:

You and most of the rest of us are the stuckee's

I have tried all the suggestions since the November upgrade. None have worked.

* * * Reality * * *

Create a new VM
    Life will be back to normal
    Current VM will NEVER get better. Yes 3844 may be somewhat better but I am not good enough to see 1-2% improvement when I fall asleep waiting for the VM to work...

I created a new VM with Win 7 experimental. Current beta good until June 2010.
    This fall when my business slows down I plan to create a new XP VM

The original is still there if a new suggestion comes along...

16. hschneider

hschneider Pro

Yes I can confirm, that this only happens to converted VMs. I assume that it is an issue of the Parallels Tools. Maybe some DLL which wasn't updated ...

However, creating a new VM is not an option for me and many of my customers because then you'll have the whole Windows installation marathon again .... too many apps to reinstall and configure.

-- Harald

17. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

I'm using a Bootcamp partition... and yes, creating a new VM instead of converting the old 2.5 VM did help with a lot of the speed issues.. but the slow HFS drive access and drag and drop from OS X into XP is making things impossible. When I used to drag a file from OS X onto the XP desktop or into Photoshop in v 2.5 it was instant.. with v4 it takes about 3 to 5 minutes for the file to show up.

18. Jack Warner

Jack Warner Bit poster

3D Acceleration

I had the same problem of unbearable slowness running Windows 7 RC on my MacBook Pro 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Due with 2GB of RAM.

I tried most of the suggestions here, with little/no luck.

Then I disabled 3D Acceleration and set video memory down to 16MB. Now my install works somewhat the way I expected - many, many times faster, both in Coherence mode and windows, with Shared Folders and profiles enabled. Not bad!

19. hschneider

hschneider Pro

Thanks for this suggestion, but no luck here at my side. It is as slow as aways, leaving CPU usage at approx 15% instead of 6% ... :-/

-- Harald

20. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Bit poster

Reinstall VM Machine

As I have said before.

Reinstall as a new VM and everything will be good.
    I have W7 Beta and RC that work as expected. Only old
    XP that was present on the V4 upgrade is a problem.

I just reinstalled XP-Pro last night and without other programs loaded in it is fast.
    I am still trying to decide what software to reinstall.